Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Honda Accord 98-02: TL-S Steering Wheel Swap

Old 08-27-2002, 02:21 PM
jschmid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TL-S steering wheel swap on 6th gen Accords DIY instructions

Okay, there was quite a few who wanted this, so McChad did the text and I took the pictures. Here you go

Many 6th gen Accord owners have the bomb ride. But if you have an EX non-leather or LX, DX model life may seem a little plain with the budget cheap injection molded vinyl wheel. Feeling the blues from not having the swankness of a leather wheel? Have no fear there is something even better then the OEM leather wheel cover, how about the OEM leather wheel?

The following install will work with any Honda Gen 6-leather wheel. This particular application uses an Acura type-S (TL/CL) wheel installed in a LX sedan (Schmiddy’s Car). These wheels can be purchased at your local dealer cheap, how? Many Acura customers upgrade to the wood grain wheel. The dealer will sell you the old ones if they have it, just call and ask. The same applies to Accord, Odysseys, and the like.

Here's the wheel before install:

[Make sure front wheels are perfectly straight!]

First remove the airbag: Unplug the battery and wait 3 minutes for the system to drain. Then remove caps from the side of the wheel in front of the turn and washer switch arms & remove cover on bottom of the wheel. Disconnect the air bag and horn connection from the panel under the wheel.

Remove the torx bit screws from the side access panels and remove the air bag.

Old 08-27-2002, 02:22 PM
jschmid

Part II:
With the airbag cover removed disconnect all factory wire connections. Remove factory wheel lock nut. Now with a steering wheel puller remove the stock wheel.

(pic with steering wheel puller on the wheel: )

(wheel is off the column: )

Now transfer all hardware from the old wheel to the new leather one. When placing the cruise and volume switches back on the new wheel test fit the airbag and make sure gap for switches is as before. If not, loosen screws and readjust. If using a cast aluminum leather wheel you will need to get new screws to hold the rubber balancer weight on top as the stock steel wheel’s will not fit with factory screws.

Now reinstall the new wheel by centering it on the shaft and tightening down the lock screw to 40-45 ft-lbs. Reinstall wire clips. Reinstall airbag in reverse order. Be sure to hook up horn and airbag connections.

Check fit and finish. When satisfied reconnect battery.

Some finished pics
Mine:

MrChad's:

I know every step is not pictured but you get the idea

[Typs-S wheels will fit on Preludes but requires the purchase of Gen 6 airbags and cruise control switch. As stock Lude parts won’t fit the new wheel. All other wires are the same and will direct plug. This applies to Gen 5 Accords (CL’s) as well.]

(Note: If you are unfamiliar with airbags and such do not attempt this yourself. I assume no responsibility for your inability to do this install should something go wrong. Don’t call me when you mess it up. This is a disclaimer.)
Old 08-27-2002, 02:38 PM
steveng

does Tl have two tone steering wheel or just black?
Old 08-27-2002, 02:42 PM
jschmid

Originally posted by steveng
does Tl have two tone steering wheel or just black?
All black
Old 08-27-2002, 02:57 PM
EliteAccord
Banned

Originally posted by jschmid
This applies to Gen 5 Accords (CL’s) as well.]
So the 5th Gen Accord uses the Acura CL steering wheel?
Old 08-27-2002, 03:32 PM
jschmid

Originally posted by EliteAccord

So the 5th Gen Accord uses the Acura CL steering wheel?
I'm not quite sure what MrChad meant by that...he wrote the text. Maybe the older CL's?
Old 08-27-2002, 05:06 PM
iNteGraz92
forever lurking

yes, the old cl's
Old 08-27-2002, 07:26 PM
Dr. Reef

Where the hell does one find a steering wheel puller?

Can I get this tool from somwhere?
Old 08-27-2002, 07:45 PM
motu
it ain't easy

If I buy a new wheel, does it come with a new airbag? Cause I have an ivory interior (looks like MrChad does also) and the center of my wheel is that tannish color. Can I get an "ivory" wheel, or do I have to use all black?
Old 08-28-2002, 02:03 AM
Saloon-Cruiser

how did mcchads do his center steering wheel (where the airbag is located) to be black?

Quick Reply: Honda Accord 98-02: TL-S Steering Wheel Swap