Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

DIY: 15 minute Axle Replacement

Old 04-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Bugster57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks Jafro

I just finished replacing the left CV half axle on my daughter's 96 Accord. Using your DIY it was a piece of cake, filthy but easy. I don't post usually on this forum as I work on the Honda only when I need to. I spend my time at Vintage Mustang Forum as I'm restoring a 68' Coupe to a near concours finish.

I really appreciate your help, just had to let you know.

Now I get to do the other side tomorrow. 20 min.

Rick
Old 06-08-2006, 06:51 PM
hooptie

I did the right side today. Piece of cake. Maybe I got lucky. Now I noticed that my boot on the rack (on the same side) is torn and leaking. I will fix that next because I don't think power steering fluid likes the boot, if you know what I mean.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Bugster57

Default Be sure the axles are seated!

I did the swap, both sides not difficult and I was real proud of myself.
That is until the next day when the passenger side popped out a little and fouled the final drive gear.
$2600 and a new tranny later my initial savings was blown to say the least.

Be sure the axles are seated properly.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:52 PM
rob1218

can anyone plz help me or give me some tips..
i followed this guide on my accord and got both axles off however i have been trying to get the new axles back in for like 2 hours and they wont go in all the way..
id really appreciate it if someone could help me out asap becuase i need to get my car running soon!!
Thanks
Old 07-29-2006, 06:27 PM
phietnam
PrOJeCT aPPrEnTiCe

this is a civic thread so it might be a little diffrent but not that much... when i did my swap I had a hard time with my axle too... can you not get them in at all? like not at least half way? you should be able too if not you may have the wrong axles, its kinda hard to tell without looking at it or a detialed decription of what exactly your doing... the way i did mines was i had partially fitted til i couldnt push it in anymore then i held the axle straight and banged on the other end of the axle til it went all the way in, DOnt forget to use axle grease... if that doesnt work then like i sed you might have the wrong axles...
Old 07-30-2006, 01:49 PM
rob1218

thx for the help man.. so i think i figured out the problem.. i think the snap ring was messed up when they gave it to me cuz i noticed it was a little tweaked. so i pulled the ring off and it slip right in.. so now i just gotta find a new snap ring and figure out how to put it back on than it should be good i hope..
Old 07-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Yay! Page 2. Thanks for keeping it alive, guys.

Always remember the previously-mentioned stick-a-magnet-in-the-hole trick to make sure you don't have any foreign junk up in there obstructing your pristine new axle. I've pulled a whole snap-ring out of a transmission like that once before. Make sure nothing's in there already that's not supposed to be.

If the hole's clean and the retaining clip looks okay, jam that sucker in there while twisting. Sometimes it takes some jiggling... but just don't beat on the axle with a hammer or anything like that. It should slip into place.

I have seen bad retaining clips on remanufactured axles, but that's a rare occurence. Used axles, anything goes.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:04 PM
nonbox

I have rented a balljoint separator from Kragen but it did not work. How do you get the balljoint loose from the lower control arm without damage? What part of the lower control arm do you hit with a sledge hammer? Will the lower control arm dent or crack?
Old 08-27-2006, 02:51 PM
phietnam
PrOJeCT aPPrEnTiCe

Originally Posted by nonbox
I have rented a balljoint separator from Kragen but it did not work. How do you get the balljoint loose from the lower control arm without damage? What part of the lower control arm do you hit with a sledge hammer? Will the lower control arm dent or crack?
when you have your car jacked up hit upwards toward the engine... where the castle bolt was... it was pretty hard for me i had to use the ball joint separator and a hammer to remove mines... i need a new boot too but i havent gotten to that yet... when you use the separator move it up and down...
Old 08-27-2006, 03:01 PM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

Originally Posted by nonbox
Originally Posted by agent87
I've ... found dealing with the ball joints to be a bigger pain than necessary. For me at least, it's faster to just remove the upper control arm from the shock tower...
Just thought I'd highlight that tip in case the balljoints are a problem. It works well and you don't have to deal with replacing torn boots.