Thread: What grit sand paper for headlights

What grit sand paper for headlights

My headlights are kind of dirty on the outside... anyone know what grit sand paper will take the grim off?

Relevance is irrelevant bluetwo's Avatar
    no but i hope someone does. or I guess we just order some flitz.............

00 Honda Civic EX daily driver
    84 Honda Nighthawk CB700

acetone will remove the yellowing. (i used acetone for the yellowing on mine)if you need more than that. 1500 or 2000. wet sand them tho. then use a polishing compound. i haven't tried 3m's plastic polish but others have and were pleased

The Krazy One
    Blue Majic chrome polish after sanding works wonders also.

1. only use 2000 grit sandpaper and wetsand in one direction from left to right.
    2. use turtlewax red rubbing compound from local auto store and buff for about 5 minutes or whatever is reasonable
    3. use turtlewax polishing compound (white) and buff again
    4. finish up with plastic headlight polish (why use chrome polish when they have plastic polish)
    vouches: JDMCarboy, u2civic1, gaydm.accord, [256] JP-03, krotchwaffle, dc-lefty, Two_K Si, SyDuck, 9civic8, scubadorg, whoaitslen2, djbutler007, Tad, This One, MABDOHC, importboii, p1ccoloz, SawBoss

on h-s: tool, delirious, whiteaccord94, krotchwaffle, robbles, nizmugen, whoaitslen2, iakona

97 accord

Quote Originally Posted by s.cali alan
    4. finish up with plastic headlight polish (why use chrome polish when they have plastic polish)
    Blue Magic metal polish is a genaric abrasive free metal/glass/plastic polish. I use it, it works just fine.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=281&dateline=1154763163[/SIGPIC]

any kind of polish is pretty much going to do the same job.

when sanding sand left and right, and up and down. your also supposed to do the 45's but you should be set with just the 90's(degree angles )

Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn
    any kind of polish is pretty much going to do the same job.
    Any abrasive-free polish, that is. Polish with a fine abrasive grit will leave nasty scratches and swirls.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=281&dateline=1154763163[/SIGPIC]

btw i dont trust sanding in more than one direction.... but thats just me.
    vouches: JDMCarboy, u2civic1, gaydm.accord, [256] JP-03, krotchwaffle, dc-lefty, Two_K Si, SyDuck, 9civic8, scubadorg, whoaitslen2, djbutler007, Tad, This One, MABDOHC, importboii, p1ccoloz, SawBoss

on h-s: tool, delirious, whiteaccord94, krotchwaffle, robbles, nizmugen, whoaitslen2, iakona

97 accord

^^why's that? your supposed to sand that way. i read it in a House of Kolor book

The Krazy One
    1. only use 2000 grit sandpaper and wetsand in one direction from left to right.
    2. use turtlewax red rubbing compound from local auto store and buff for about 5 minutes or whatever is reasonable
    3. use turtlewax polishing compound (white) and buff again
    Blue Magic chrome p[olish is also used for plastics, says so on the bottle.

My name is Mud
    btw i dont trust sanding in more than one direction.... but thats just me.
    Obviously you haven't used sandpaper much, I always have and always will use 90 patterns to wetsand, you just have to know what you're doing.

It would take 3 days to sand your lights if you went in one direction only

Quote Originally Posted by Hoist
    , I always have and always will use 90 patterns to wetsand, you just have to know what you're doing.

I wetsanded mine left to right using 200 first, 400, 600, 800, 1000, then 2000 at 5 minutes a piece then buffed with turtlewax polishing compound and they turned out perfect.

^^ holy crap. 200-600 grit must have ate through that plastic! plastic is soft.. you don't need something super abbrasive.

The whole point was for it to eat through the top layer to get it to its clearest point, then smooth it out with the rest.

^^ o well as long as it turned out lookin good your ok. you probably just took off more than was necessary

Honda-Acura
    Honda S2000

Honda-Acura