Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Replacing timing belt on Honad Civic 1995

Old 03-25-2004, 05:54 AM
chalalola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing timing belt on Honad Civic 1995

I had to replace the water pump in my car. Everything went ok until I put the new timing belt on. My car runs but it has not power. I follow Chilton book instructions but I think something is missing. I find the marks on the camshaft but none in the crankshaft. Can somebody get me a hand to find the right aligment for the timing belt?
Thanks
Old 03-25-2004, 08:58 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR ANYMORE!

You need to start over and get that timing belt on right. If you don't have any marks on your crank pully, there's one on the sprocket on the crank where the timing belt connects.

Do you see the 4 marks on your crank pulley? 3 are very close and the center of the three is red, the 4th is to the right of the grouped three and it's white.

The White one is TDC and you need to use that to correctly install the timing belt.

You can completely ruin your motor if you have that thing on incorrectly. Please, be careful!
Old 03-26-2004, 12:24 PM
chalalola

Thanks! I'll look for the marks and see what happens
Old 03-27-2004, 04:14 PM
IntegraR

Originally Posted by chalalola
I had to replace the water pump in my car. Everything went ok until I put the new timing belt on. My car runs but it has not power. I follow Chilton book instructions but I think something is missing. I find the marks on the camshaft but none in the crankshaft. Can somebody get me a hand to find the right aligment for the timing belt?
Thanks

what kind of civic is it ?? coupe, hatchback, sedan????

4 different type of engines...
1.5 16 valve
1.5 8 valve
1.5 v-tec
1.6 v-tec

which one ???
Old 03-29-2004, 08:22 AM
chalalola

Default My honda has 4 doors

I have a Honda Civic 95 DX 4 door. I can read 16 valve in the top of the valve cover

Originally Posted by IntegraR
what kind of civic is it ?? coupe, hatchback, sedan????

4 different type of engines...
1.5 16 valve
1.5 8 valve
1.5 v-tec
1.6 v-tec

which one ???
Old 03-30-2004, 06:47 PM
IntegraR

-Remove the splash shield.
-Remove the power steering pump. - Do not disconnect the P/S hoses.
-On vehicles with A/C remove the A/C compressor adjusting pulley with bracket and the belt.
-Remove the P/S bracket.
-Loosen the alternator adjusting bolt and pivot nut, then remove the belt.
-Remove the cruise control actuator.
-Remove the engine support nuts. Loosen the mount bolt and pivot the side engine mount out of the way.
-Remove the cylinder head cover.
-Remove the timing belt upper cover.
-Remove the special bolt and crankshaft pulley.
-Remove the timing belt upper cover and the lower cover.
-Loosen the timing belt adjusting bolt 180° .
-Push the tensioner to release tension from the belt, then retighten the adjusting bolt.
-Remove the timing belt from the pulleys.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
95 civic 16 valve.gif (62.8 KB, 372 views)
95 civic.gif (16.7 KB, 309 views)
95 civic 4 dr.gif (15.0 KB, 260 views)
civic timing.gif (13.7 KB, 277 views)
civic timing 2.gif (9.6 KB, 281 views)
Old 03-30-2004, 06:51 PM
IntegraR

Instalation....

- Install the timing belt in the reverse order of removal
- Position the crankshaft and the camshaft pulleys as shown before installing the timing belt.
---Set the crankshaft so that the No.1 piston is at top dead center (TDC). Align the groove on the teeth side of the timing belt drive pulley to the pointer on the oil pump.
---Align the TDC marks on the camshaft pulley with the cylinder head upper surface.
-Install the timing belt tightly in the sequence shown. (1) Timing belt drive pulley (crankshaft) -> (2) Adjusting pulley -> (3) Water pump pulley -> (4) Camshaft pulley.
-Loosen the adjusting bolt, and retighten it after tensioning the belt.
-Rotate the crankshaft about 4 or 6 turns counterclockwise so that the belt positions on the pulleys.
-Adjust the timing belt tension.
-Check the crankshaft pulley and the camshaft pulley at TDC.
If the camshaft pulley is not positioned at TDC remove the timing belt and adjust the positioning and repeat the installation procedure and reinstall the timing belt. After installation, adjust the tension of each belt.
Attached Images
civic timing marks.gif (20.0 KB, 272 views)
2.gif (4.5 KB, 241 views)
80821432.gif (25.2 KB, 223 views)
3.gif (6.0 KB, 213 views)
Old 03-31-2004, 08:03 PM
itechengineers
PC's_N_CaR_EnGiNEeRiNGMaN

hey, out of everything everyone has posted, its all good info... head over to this site and download the HELMS manual and get , yet, another version of the timing belt replacement....

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=125370
Old 04-07-2004, 09:28 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

Just some advice on Honda/acura engines, If you have the bottom crank pulley off the keyway/wooddruff key should point straight up. The cam gear has cuts into the sides that should be even with the cyl. head surface. The number one cyl. intake and exhuast rockers should be loose and the cam lobes for that cyl. should point outward away from the engine. This is VERY general for most Honda/acura engines, but I would check the timing marks with the timing cover in place and have a copy of the helms manual if you're not experienced at t-belt service.

P.s. When you have your timing marks lined up correctly and you put the belt on, the belt should be tight around the top of the cam gear down to the bottom of the crank gear. Or the left side of the belt should be tight, the slack side should be on the water pump side. (4 cyl. only) V6 is a different animal. If you slack out the left side it could jump teeth on start up. Also i rotated the engine by hand after I put my new belts on and tensioned them when i first started to ensure that if i was wrong and i was off it would not hurt the engine.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:17 AM
chalalola

I installed the timing belt and put everything in place. My car is running but it is pinning. a lot and in small hills the temp. goes up more than usual . I tried to adjust the timing and seems to be doing better but still not right. I was wondering if may be I put the timing belt too tight. How can I find out what is going on?
Does someone have any idea?

Quick Reply: Replacing timing belt on Honad Civic 1995