Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Ball Joint Problem or Steering Rack????? Wobble & Noise???

Old 10-28-2003, 05:54 AM
h22avid
Sleeper...Creeper...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Joint Problem or Steering Rack????? Wobble & Noise???

When I get to high speeds or am decelerating from high speeds I get a wicked wobble feel from my front end. Also when just cruising at high or low speeds, if I hit a bump, I can hear a dull clunking sound from my drivers side only. Or if I jerk the steering wheel back and forth while sitting still I can hear the same sound.

What couls this be? The sound comes from the drivers side but can be produced even when only my passenger side front wheel hits a bump.

Do you guys think this is related to ball joints or my steering rack? The only reason that I think it could have something to do with the steering rack is because the sound only comes from the drivers side and can be produced even when only the passenger side hits a bump.

I haven't had a chance to get the wheels off the ground to see if there is any looseness or wobble in the wheel so just hunting for possible causes right now.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:50 AM
toanhung

camber kits
Old 11-01-2003, 10:42 AM
h22avid
Sleeper...Creeper...

You really think that a camber kit would resolve the issue... I dunno about that. The camber isn't even noticeably off since I didn't slam it on the ground... just a good sporty low.

It probably wouldn't hurt to have a camber kit but I don't think that is my problem.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:19 PM
YeaItsAFourDoor
..::-Free your mind-::..

I dunno...might wanna check it out yourself...could probably be a joint problem somewhere...

Considered the CV joints, axle shafts or the wheel balance?
Old 11-14-2003, 07:32 PM
h22avid
Sleeper...Creeper...

Originally posted by YeaItsAFourDoor
I dunno...might wanna check it out yourself...could probably be a joint problem somewhere...

It's not like a wobble you would experience from mis-balanced wheels...

I'm convinced though that it is probably my steering rack because while the car is sitting still, I can jerk the wheel back and forth and here the same sound. But I'm not sure if all that noise that I'm hearing from the rack could cause a wobble?
Old 11-14-2003, 07:45 PM
YeaItsAFourDoor

Yea, that wobbling thing you talk about has me wondering too..

Could it be more than just the rack?
Old 11-14-2003, 08:48 PM
h22avid
Sleeper...Creeper...

I dunno because that is the only thing that makes noise when the car is stationary. I can bounce it up and down hard as hell and it doesn;t make a noise.... but when I jerk the steering wheel, I hear the same sound that I hear when I'm driving and go over bumps etc.

With that said, I think the only thing bad is the rack.

I've had the front end up and grasped the wheels real good and pulled them side to side and top to bottom to see if there were bad ball joints and there was no play in the wheel so the ball joints seem fine.

What's got me confused and I could be wrong... but I didn't think the steering rack would have any effect on the ride as far as wobbling etc is concerned.

Some times when I hit a good bump though it sounds like my front end is going to just fall off and that can only be attributed to the rack... same sound as when I jerk the wheel just much louder when I'm in motion and hit something.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:26 PM
YeaItsAFourDoor

You're probably right...
I was just thinking how loose/worn/damaged tie-rod ends could cause it to shimmy or nibble..

Lol i dunno it's like 12:30 at night and my brain is dead.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:25 PM
ToFu
old SkooL

sounds like the CV joint and axles worn. Had the same problem on my 4th gen accord and had those replaced and bam, sound and wobble problem gone
Old 11-20-2003, 06:54 PM
YeaItsAFourDoor

Originally posted by YeaItsAFourDoor