Notices
Detailing Forum Advice on detailing from the experts.

What do you guys think of "Nu-Finish"?

Old 04-27-2008, 11:27 AM
autofreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you guys think of "Nu-Finish"?

I've been looking for a good wax that's easy to apply and I came across this product called Nu-Finish polish that is supposedly good for one full year. Now is there a difference between a polilsh and wax? Does this product really work? What other suggestions do you guys have as to what kind of wax I should buy? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:32 AM
mikhsoj

nu finish is a gimmicky product imho. id go with something a little more trusted. meguiars, mothers, poor boys, zaino etc. something thats a little higher in caranouba (sp) wax. personally, i used to use Meguiars NXT and it was pretty good. easy to apply (little watery) and came out nice and shiny. other than that, you can opt for the Meguiars classic wax its decent. used Mothers wax before and cant complain there either.

wax will help keep the paint on your car clean and free from oxidation. the one year wax thing is bull. ur gonna want to wax it at least every other carwash. if you're using laundry detergent or dish soap, ur gonna want to wax it each and every time you wash.

polish on the other hand is like a super fine sandpaper that will "cut" some layers of paint, exacly what polishing compounds do is a science on their own, but the idea is that you want to remove damaged paint and expose the clean fresh paint under it.

Last edited by mikhsoj; 05-20-2008 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:30 AM
IkeRay
Aka #5

Originally Posted by mikhsoj
polish on the other hand is like a super fine sandpaper that will "cut" some layers of paint, exacly what polishing compounds do is a science on their own, but the idea is that you want to remove damaged paint and expose the clean fresh paint under it.
as you said, polish is like a sandpaper. basically what it does is creates tiny tiny swirls and imperfections in the paint that draw your attention away so much so that you don't notice them, if that makes sense. Nu Polish is a good rubbing or polishing compound, do not confuse it with wax. a good polish with nu polish once a year will help keep you from seeing any swirl marks in the paint, best used with a PC 7424 or any other orbital polisher.

with that said, you don't HAVE to use nu polish to do this, you can use any trusted polishing compound, and best results will be with a power orbital polisher.

now when you get to waxes, there are such a wide variety, but personally I like either mother's carnauba wax, or Meguiar's Gold Class, both done by hand in a cool/shaded place.