Notices
Detailing Forum Advice on detailing from the experts.

Complete Fresh Renewal Steps

Old 05-31-2006, 02:15 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete Fresh Renewal Steps

Before, on my old black Accord I:

1. Wetsanded it with 2000grits Sand paper
2. Used 3M Fine Compound
3. Used Meguiars Medium Cut Cleaner
4. Used 3M Polish Glaze and Meguiars #7
5. Meguiars #26.

All of those was professional stuffs and I had to used an 7" orbital polisher. It came out very nice and shiny. And I tested it a lil on my Red car, doesn't work that well (the two polishes) so I decided not to use them. may be it's because I'm using wool yellow polishing pad since I lost my foam pads???

However, for my Red G35C, I also don't want to wetsand the car. So I'll figure that I'd:

1. Clay bar it - (did it last week - Came out nice, I put 1 minor coat of Eagle1 Nano Wax on it for temporary protectant. Will Clay bar again)
2. Strip off all the wax - What to use?
3. Cut Cleaner - What to use?
4. Polish - What to use?
5. Glaze - What to use?
6. Wax it (3-5 Coats) - What to use? S100?

I want the absolute protective and shiness on my car and would protect it for a while (4-6 months) without waxing every month. It has to be better than what I used above. But I can't find any??

Thanks guys

Last edited by H-Accord-22; 05-31-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:26 PM
loafeidb

Originally Posted by H-Accord-22
1. Clay bar it - (did it last week - Came out nice, I put 1 minor coat of Eagle1 Nano Wax on it for temporary protectant. Will Clay bar again)
2. Strip off all the wax - What to use?
3. Cut Cleaner - What to use?
4. Polish - What to use?
5. Glaze - What to use?
6. Wax it (3-5 Coats) - What to use? S100?
I might not be any help but i do want to know some of these things too

As for wax, Consumer Reports did a thing on Waxes this month. According to them Liquid Waxes are the best for Cleaning, Gloss and Duribilty but they require more buffing to prevent streaking.Paste: application is easy.
Their top to picks for Liquid waxes were Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax BM48016 and Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6. Black magic was harder to use because of extra buffing needed to prevent streaks but Turtle wax was more abrasive and caused very light hazing and scratches on darker finishes. Those both had the highest rating duribility.

So according to this if you want more durability then go with those, but the durability is at the expense of ease.

O, well that probably didnt help much but I tried :dunno:
Old 05-31-2006, 09:14 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

Thanks loafeidb

However, those are more for regular consumers. I'm looking into professional stuffs.

1. Claybar - Remove contaiminants on the surface of the paint.
2. Strip of wax - remove all wax/polishes finishes to prepare for a new fresh & cleaner coat.
3. Cut Cleaner - remove swirl marks, minor cuts, oxidation, etc. on the paint's surface
4. Polish - minor coats that seal and removes fine cuts and swirmarks, adding gloss to the look.
5. Glaze - For further glossy, mirror type look. Another layer above the polishes.
6. Wax - Seal everything up and protect it so that weathering won't affect all other finishes.

This is one good example of a fellw G35 members with fine finish look.

Last edited by H-Accord-22; 05-31-2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:33 AM
Detailed Image
Registered

However, those are more for regular consumers. I'm looking into professional stuffs.

1. Claybar - ClearKote Clay Kit 200g Bar
2. Strip of wax - if your polishing using an abrasive polish, this step is redundant. The light abrasives will cut thru any barrier of protection.
3. Cut Cleaner - If your using a buffer my personal favorite is Menzerna Intensive Polish
4. Polish - Menzerna Final Polish II is the hands down winner for finishing polish
5. Glaze - You can stick with Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze here or try our new ClearKote Red Moose Glaze (RMG) which is getting amazing reviews on the detailing forums. We just got it in yesterday and its not on our site yet, if your interested its 16oz for $15.99 goes on and off like butter.
6. Wax - Bang for the buck Natty's Blue Paste Wax is amazing for $15.99, next step up would be P21s Concours Carnauba for $31.99 or if you want to go all out for a concours event look Pinnicle Souveran for $69.99 a jar. We got this in the same time as the Red Moose Glaze and its not on our site yet so PM / IM / Email me if you are interested in either of those.
Here's a pic of Wash / Dry - Menzerna IP - Menzerna FP II - Pinnicle Souveran will do on red... (Keep in mind this is without a glaze)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
10.jpg (170.2 KB, 22 views)
6.jpg (148.8 KB, 21 views)
9.jpg (192.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 06-01-2006, 09:36 AM
H-Accord-22
Duh

Thanks for the suggestion. May be the pics doesn't do justtice since that car is old but I really don't see any thing that's supper impressive to me.

Honestly, I used Meguiars #7 and Eagle 1 wax for temporary last week and it turned out a lot shinnier, depth, gloss with just 1 coat of each.

I'm looking for something that's absolutely better than what I used as temporary.

It's not my car, but my car is having the same level of shines like that in the attachment.

I'm looking for something that's better.
Attached Images
IMG_5710.JPG (185.9 KB, 40 views)
IMG_5750.JPG (45.0 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by H-Accord-22; 06-01-2006 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:48 AM
Detailed Image
Registered

It's definately the pictures, it was taken from a crappy 3.2 MP olympus and I don't know the first thing about photography. I was trying to point out the wet look in the first picture.

The products I suggested are top of the line and if you search detailing forums you will see similar suggestions. Over the counter products are made in bulk and the quality of the ingredients do not stand up to botique quality ingredients designed for Concours show use.

There are definately better options than 3M , Megs , E1 , Mothers , etc.

George @ Detailed Image
Old 06-05-2006, 08:27 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

Thanks George. So how do these compared to to Klasse or Zaino's products?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Detailed Image
Registered

They all serve their own purpose. Klasse is one of the most durable sealants that give off good reflection, however it lacks the glow of a carnauba. Zaino is a good combination of shine and durability but its a ton of steps to achieve that work. Also with Zaino, other than using the new Z-PC, all you are doing is hiding imperfections. Z5 is essentially a glaze, which is designed to hide imperfections (swirls, scratches, etc.) not fix them.

The process I suggested not only permanently fixes things but also leaves you with increadible durability, gloss, depth and protection. What I suggested certainly would not be as durable as Klasse or Zaino, but that can easily be fixed by adding a layer of sealant between the glaze and wax.

Please do not hesitate to ask any other questions you may have.

George @ Detailed Image
Old 06-06-2006, 02:14 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

So for a complete permanent fix, glaze, shine, depth, reflection, sealant, and durability what do you suggest? You can also PM me the price for the whole package.

I don't use PC but I do use the 7" Industrial Polisher. What Pads do you recommend to use with those applications?

As you can see, I'm really looking into perfection.

Thanks George
Old 06-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Detailed Image
Registered

As you can see, I'm really looking into perfection.
Thanks George
As far as the pads are concerned, I'm assuming you have a velcro backing plate to change the pads out? Or are you tied into certain pads?

If its velcro I can give my recommendation on what Lake Country Pads to use for the process.

This is what I would do personally, and I'm not sure how good of a buffer you have, which very well may play a big part in the results. Cheaper buffers cannot generate as much heat as a Porter Cable, hence not allowing the product to fully break down and give you the results you are looking for. But assuming its a decent quality buffer you shouldn't have any problems.

First step wash / dry - the most important thing here is going to be having a high quality wash mitt and drying towel to help minimize future swirls and scratches on the paint. Shampoo - as long as its a good lubricating shampoo designed for automotive use you'll be fine.

Second - Clay Bar - this will prep the surface for polishing and will help yield ideal results in the end since you will be removing macro and microscopic contamination in the paint.

Medium Cut Polish - I personally love the Menzerna Polishes and could argue that they are some of the best out there right now. Intensive Polish would be done with an orange cutting pad or a white polishing pad depending on the severity of the imperfections in your paint. Or if you're a perfectionist, do 1 coat with the orange cutting pad and a second coat with a white polishing pad. By doing multiple coats of the same polish on lesser aggressive pads, it will remove more imperfections and really bring out the gloss and depth even further.

Finishing Polish - After the coat(s) of Intensive Polish, follow up with Final Polish II. This will remove any hazing or marring that may have been induced from the Medium Cut Polish. This will leave your paint squeeky clean and ready for either a glaze, sealant or wax.

Glaze (optional step) - What a glaze will do is help fill in imperfections in the paint that could not be removed from polishing. It's a nice step when you're looking for perfection for a show or just want to have you're paint looking as good as possible. If you plan on doing a sealant after the glaze than I'd suggest Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze... if you plan on skipping a sealant and going right to a wax than I'd suggest ClearKote Red Moose Machine Glaze. You'd use a white polishing pad to

Sealant and / or Wax - Now its time to protect your paint and you have three options. Do just a sealant, which will give you more of a reflective look with some depth and gloss. The result will be longer protection and durability (3 - 6 months usually). My personal favorite is Menzerna Full Mollecular Jacket. From there you can add a wax or skip the sealant altogether and go right for a wax. A natural wax will give you the best depth, gloss and wet look, however you sacrifice durability. For protection you're looking anywhere from 3 - 8 weeks. The best wax we carry is Pinnicle Souveran, followed by P21s Concours Carnauba and Natty's Blue.

I'll PM you with a package and we can go from there.

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image