Thread: 91 CRX stock half shaft question/mystery

91 CRX stock half shaft question/mystery

Hi,

I did my own replacements-they proved defective and this time I had a shop do it. Now when driving a steady but intermittent metal on metal rub is heard from the front passengers side. Shifting, clutching, throttle, braking, steering changes have no effect on the sound. I had them set the hub nut to the right ft. lbs so the wheel bearing is not scorched. I replaced the tranny oil after the noise started though the level was correct it was due. Any ideas here on the site? We bought our 1st CRX in '84, the 1.3 and hit an honest 60 MPG across the AZ. desert too bad the Massachusetts salt baths dissolved our car!

It's a drive shaft (only the high-end JDM market CRX Si had a half shaft on the left so both drive shafts were the same length; something to do with torque steer)

Anyway, look at the rubber boot seals on both ends of the drive shaft making noise. Maybe, one has failed.
    What's the milage on the car?
    It could also be the brake dust shield rubbing against the rotor.

take care,
    ChrisS

Thanks Chris

The shaft was just replaced so boots are new. The dust shield is not in contact, it's random but the same sound each time like metal on metal rotating but not the click of a new but defective cv joint.

Has anyone heard of a bad CV joint that makes a noise other than the clicking we've all heard?

Found the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott479 View Post
    The shaft was just replaced so boots are new. The dust shield is not in contact, it's random but the same sound each time like metal on metal rotating but not the click of a new but defective cv joint.

Has anyone heard of a bad CV joint that makes a noise other than the clicking we've all heard?
    Between the axle and hub is a wheel bearing washer/cover. It appears it was damaged when the installer pried the ABS ring off the end. Now warped it would sometimes hang on the hub and spin causing the noise. Removal ended the noise.

Honda-Acura
    Honda S2000

Honda-Acura