Notices

1990 Civic Wheel Cylinder Help Needed!!!

Old 02-02-2006, 05:45 PM
gilk434

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Civic Wheel Cylinder Help Needed!!!

Please help! I am trying to replace the left-side wheel cylinder on the rear brakes. I have a 1990 Civic DX 4DR and I cannot figure out how to reach the front bolt on the wheel cylinder. I have the brake drum and shoes removed, but I cannot reach the front bolt. Do I need to remove something else or do I need a special tool? Any advice would be a great help!

Last edited by gilk434; 02-03-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

The friction material in a drum brake is called a "shoe," actually. Pads are the friction material on disc brake systems.

Anyway, I'd have to see a picture. I haven't had one of those drums apart in a while, honestly.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:52 PM
izzy434

I just did the wheel cylinders on my 1990 Honda Civic SI. I first removed the bolt that is easy to get at. I couldn't get that other bolt off either. So what I did is find an old junkie cheap 10mm open end wrench I didn't care about. I ground off the thick parts of the wrench on each side of the open end enough so that it allowed for more clearance, allowing enough movement to grab the bolt and turn it less than a quarter turn. Loosening it little by little while at the same time pulling the cylinder away from the backing plate. It was a slow process. The nut stayed in there, even after the old cylinder came free. Then back into the new cylinder the bolt same way, little by little until it seated. Kind of a weird design flaw if you ask me.