Notices

How to remove hatch struts from an 89 Civic Si?

Old 11-10-2004, 05:33 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove hatch struts from an 89 Civic Si?

The hatch struts on my 89 Civic are shot. Have new ones but I don't want to destroy the hatch. What's the correct way of removing the old struts that hold up the hatch?

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2004, 08:23 AM
mullinator

If they're aftermarket, there will be a visible clip on the outside you can pry on to help them release off the balls to which they're attached. OEM ones are always more difficult. I like to saw most of the way across the cup w/ a fiberglass-reinforced cutoff wheel in my Dremel. Then I stick a screwdriver in the slot and twist. Usu the cup will shatter into two pieces. Sometimes it will just spread a little so it can be pulled off the ball.

Your new struts will come with new ball hardware, so don't worry about destroying the old ones.

And be sure you have something solid holding the hatch up while you're working. It *is* heavy and you *will* drop it on your head if you don't! Do one side at a time. Once you get one good strut on there, the hatch might even hold itself up-- giving you an added level of security. -scott

<edit>Ah you have a DX. The hatch isn't as heavy, at least on the CRX.</edit>
Old 11-10-2004, 02:27 PM
v8guy
Professor

WUT????

I changed mine on my CRX and it was really easy. I'm pretty sure they were original. Even the rotors were original after 160k. I don't remember how I did it though, I can't stand hatches that won't stay open. It is like the first thing I fix on every car I ever get. I even replaced them on a car that didn't even run! (well not yet anyway) Most of them you have to pop off a clip and then the socket will pop off the ball stud.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:01 PM
ED9man
driver

He has a hatch not a CRX.
I replaced the ones on my CRX too, it was really easy.
I imagine it is more difficult in a hatch.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:28 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Well my struts that looked llike they have been sitting on a shelf since 1989 did not have the extra balls that attach to the hatch/lower trunk area. I used a mallet and lightly tapped on the strut arm, but it didn't come off the ball.

Any other suggestions? Should I just pry it off with a flathead screwdriver?
Old 11-10-2004, 10:54 PM
augy

Originally Posted by v8guy
WUT????
Yeah, I second that. You don't need to shatter anything to get those off.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:12 AM
mullinator

That's great to hear! I've changed more 1st-gen (84-87) hatch struts than I care to mention and I can tell you for a fact you have to shatter the cup to get those darn things off. I had *one*, count 'em, *one* come off w/o the Dremel.

I'm glad you folks have had such good luck! -scott "Work smart, not hard."
Old 11-11-2004, 12:14 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

i normally use a pry bar to get them off...they break upon removal...put a towel on the part of the hatch you are using as leverage to pop it off
Old 03-15-2012, 08:53 AM
weighting

to remove original equipment struts on an 88 civic dx hatchback, simply unscrew the ball posts with an 11mm open end wrench. the ball will turn freely in the strut cup. the lower ball post is recessed in plastic molded trim. simply pull back the hatch rubber seal strip, pry up the plastic trim with a screwdriver, and slip the wrench underneath to loosen the lower ball post.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:56 PM
williams99

Your new struts will come with new ball hardware, so don't worry about destroying the old ones.