Notices

rwd civic/crx

Old 11-05-2003, 07:10 PM
speedracercivic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rwd civic/crx

my next project is to make a rwd civic....everyone says its going to cost so much but i dont see why....the only reason i can think of is that they would bring it somewhere to get it done which isnt the case here.....has anyone ever seen a front engine rear wheel drive civic...just want to find someone that did it so i can make things go faster when i do the project...i like making my own stuff.....just finished turning a 2wd 1980 chevy van into a 4x4 van and it works great i also have a 90 civic with a built ls that i did all the work too.....i was thinking about using a s2000 drivetrain but they are soo expensive.........what other motors out there would work good??....motors from rx7's???.....maybe even a sbc???....this car is just going to be a toy and mostly for looks....i already know that a good fwd car could never be a rwd car...so if u know of anyone that has a rwd civic let me know
Old 11-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by speedracercivic
what other motors out there would work good??....motors from rx7's???
Ha... haha, right.

You'll never get an RX-7 drivetrain into a Civic without cutting out a huge portion of... well, everything under the car. Besides the fact that you would need a completely custom subframe (can you fabricate an entire subframe?) and mounts to fit any Rotary, you still need to cut the firewall and floor for the transmission, driveshaft, differential, and halfshafts. Then you have to completely replace the rear suspension with one from a RWD car, because the Civic rear will never work. The front suspension would have to be replaced too.

You'd still have a wiring mess on top of that, you should probably run a Haltech E6K or E6X. The Rotary will overheat in about 20 seconds with the stock Civic radiator, so you'll need a bigger one. You'll need a fuel cell, because the stock tank is in the way of the rear differential. There are so many other things that have to be done, that when you finally finish (IF you finish) you will step back and realize what a huge waste of money that project was.

The same goes for any other RWD conversion.

And, no, you won't find any RWD Civic owners here.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:14 PM
truesmallblock

i have an idea for your rwd civic i've been coming up with a idea but maybe i should just keep it to myself......hhhmmm maybe ill do some detailed sketches.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:56 PM
slammed91-hatch

hmm...seems like if there's a 4x4 wagon out there, there's gotta be a way to modify or customize that set up to be rear wheel drive. Who knows though, just a thought
Old 11-06-2003, 03:42 AM
speedracercivic

kia "never get an RX-7 drivetrain into a Civic without cutting out a huge portion of"

i dony think any drivetrain from any car would fit in a civic to make it rwd without cutting the firewall and rear section as well as the middle of the floor. I have no problems with making a tubed frame.....me and a friend of mine or working on a samuri right now...putting a 302 v8 and we have to tube the front end to make it work.
if i did this project i would use a ford nine rear end and convert the suspension to leaf springs.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:06 AM
brokecrx

Default no faith

some people just don't have any faith.....I've seen people turn a focus into rear-wheel drive with a V-8, so I am pretty sure it can be done with time and money.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:03 AM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

i know a gy in MO that is making a 96 rwd civic. it has a 454 mounted in tha back of it. its a hatch and the entire rear has been stripped out. he is mounting it back there...as for the setup he is using man i dunno...i know it is all custom. i could call him if this sounds interesting to you. he is rear mounting it for traction over the rear tires. i thought it was a good idea...kinda?
Old 11-06-2003, 09:57 AM
crxb16er

lol its just not worth it, if u want a rwd car buy a rwd car, i mean if ur really in love with ur civic then go for it, TEHO. but the car will never be in good shape, i gaurantee it, custom jobs suck, nothing matches up perfectly, things break due to being jerry rigged into place, its hard enough to do engine swaps, let alone to put a completely different engine into a car, $$$ goes thru the roof, and in most cases u end up with a torn up car that if it does work isnt safe or reliable, but good luck regardless of what u choose to do.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:04 PM
Vividkid82

Originally posted by crxb16er
its hard enough to do engine swaps, let alone to put a completely different engine into a car
Not really..swaps are easy..in and out in 4 hours...add some wiring, call it a day...

If u got the cash for the RWD conversion, go for it...but no, its not worth it.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:46 PM
S2Kev

Originally posted by Vividkid82

Not really..swaps are easy..in and out in 4 hours...add some wiring, call it a day...

If u got the cash for the RWD conversion, go for it...but no, its not worth it.
That's not necessarily true, it depends on the engine and which car.

Why do you want a rwd civic? Seems to me that if you're going to drag race the car? It seems to me that way because you're going with a rear leaf spring suspension. If you're drag racing the car, then it's impractical to convert the civic to rwd because there is even more power loss through the drivetrain. You might as well just keep it fwd because of less power loss. If you wanted to do a rwd conversion because maybe you wanted better handling for road racing or something that maybe different but also you would want a full independent suspension.