Notices

Are the Acura Tl 2.5 and Vigor same engine?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Wraith007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the Acura Tl 2.5 and Vigor same engine?

Hello i recently acquired a 1996 Acura TL from a friend of mine with a cracked crank pulley. Prior to me getting the car I was just told about it over the phone. It was a car someone gave him and had no interest in fixing it. Anyway before I took possession of the car I was told it was a 5 cylinder and at that time my friend couldn't remember what kind of acura it was he only told me it was a 5 cylinder. So I assumed it was an Acura Vigor. I never knew that the TL also came with the 2.5 engine. I ordered a crank pulley before I even saw the car. I would just like to know if the Vigor's crank pulley will fit on a 1996 Acura TL. The pulley hasn't come in and if it is not I would like to cancel the order. The Vigor Crank pulley is much cheaper and by looking at pictures it looks the same.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:38 AM
Mpire73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well they do have different part number, but seeing how the Vigor was stopped in production in '94, it could very well be the same part. The I-5 engines were actually taken from Volvo (or Audi I forget which)
I had a '97 Acura TL 2.5 (which got totaled being hit in the rear) and I love the car so much I bought another, only a '96. The '96 had the same crank pulley issue. The seam, where the double pulley was forged, split and it had I had to replace it. That was a pain. Pretty much have to take the radiator, fans and front grille off to pull it out. Also FYI you'll need a special tool to lock it down so you can pull the pulley off.