Notices

Front end noises on 99 TL with 120k miles

Old 06-04-2010, 11:00 AM
ker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end noises on 99 TL with 120k miles

99 3.2 TL with 120k miles has developed some front end noises and "feel" recently. Front end makes a slight pop sound when brakes are applied and on initial acceleration. Also, there is a barely audible groan/whine and very slight jolt upon shifting - especially under light load - like something has some play in it. Had one of the motor mounts replaced 2 years ago - obviously a problem area for this car. I can't tell whether this is drivetrain (shafts/CV...) or possibly suspension related. I'd appreciate any ideas from the more experienced. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:23 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

As for the groan/whine, it is probably your wheel bearings.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:32 AM
ker

That's a possibility but I'm leaning more toward either motor mounts or suspension right now. Hard to be certain but the squeaking sounds a bit rubber like and though it's related somewhat to acceleration, it seems to be at least equally related to going over rough surface - yesterday on a dirt road there was a lot more of the squeaking/light knocking than ever before. My inclination at this point is to take it in and have them focus more on suspension and possibly motor mounts than pure drivetrain. I expect someone that really knows what they are doing will take a quick test drive and figure it out no problem.
In case it's suspension related - like ball joints, does replacing ball joints require a new alignment?
Old 09-07-2010, 05:45 AM
ker

Default 99 tl 3.2 Tranny/Engine Mounts?

Would anyone like to comment if they have had engine &/or tranny mounts replaced on their Acura TL? My symptoms now are squeak/pop upon acceleration, shifting & going over bumps & rough surfaces. I'm wondering about a good way to diagnose and what should I be expecting to pay if engine/tranny mounts?
I've been driving for 40 years and owned probably 20 cars & I've only replaced one motor mount - on this same TL a couple of years ago. Mounts should not be a maintenance item - especially on cars of this caliber. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:56 AM
cruzalekz

engine mounts, ive also seen lower control arm bushing cracked and failed on these cars so dont forget to check that