Notices

EGR code (?)

Old 04-23-2010, 02:59 PM
floorsinc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR code (?)

I'm having problems with my wifes 99 3.2 tl. It keeps generating a code (401) for the egr valve (exhaust gas recirculation too low). I replaced the egr, still throws the code. Pulled the egr, reemed out the port with some wire thinking it might be plugged with carbon. Still throws the code. Here's the strange thing. My wife tells me that the tcs light comes on at the same time as the mil when it generates the code. I drove the car over 200 miles yesterday myself and it's true. Each time I clear the code it's good for about 30 miles, the tcs light comes on at the same time as the mil, and when I scan it, there's the 401 code again. Of course the tcs light goes out each time you restart the car.
I'm stumped. It's possible that I didn't do a sufficient job with the wire, so the port may still be plugged. Anyone have any suggestions or advice on what I can use that's flexible to clear the port? Or is there any chance that the code and tcs light are connected? (that makes absolutely no sense). Thanx in advance.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Carbuff

You probably have restricted EGR ports inside the intake manifold. Yes the TCS light blinks along with the MIL light.

The intake needs to be removed and the black gunk cleaned out. It's not as bad as it sounds. This service needs to be done every 70,000 - 85,000 miles unfortunately.

While the intake is removed, it's a good opportunity to check and adjust the valve clearances (which are supposed to be done every 100,000 - 110,000 miles anyway).
Old 04-24-2010, 04:33 PM
floorsinc

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to order an intake gasket for it. I was looking at the intake to see how hard it is to take off before I posted, but was hoping I didn't have to go that far. Oh well, just another thing on the honey do list.:tsk: