Notices

Leaking moonroof on Acura 3.2TL

Old 10-16-2009, 12:54 PM
etspam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking moonroof on Acura 3.2TL

During a recent heavy rain, it appeared that water was leaking into the interior of the car over the front driver side. I checked the seals around the door, but they were fine. Then I sprayed water on the moonroof, and that appears to be where the leak is coming from. Those seals also look okay, though I see some water pooling into the perimeter. The front two drainage holes look like they work (dumped water on them and dripped out near front tire wells). However, one of the rear ones might be clogged, as one side it drains out the rear tire well, but the the other side is dripping out the driver side rear seat area (dunno if it shifted). So I'm guessing that's it's overflowing the lip (or the hose got disconnected somehow), and dripping into the interior.

The problem is that the moonroof is blocking my ability to see the rear drainage holes. If it's slid open, it's completely blocking the area, and if popped open, it's not high enough for me to get a clear view. Anyone have any ideas/schematics on how I can get access to it to see if it's clogged?

Forgot to mention, it's Acura 3.2 TL 2003 model.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:14 AM
Carbuff

Originally Posted by etspam
The problem is that the moonroof is blocking my ability to see the rear drainage holes. If it's slid open, it's completely blocking the area, and if popped open, it's not high enough for me to get a clear view. Anyone have any ideas/schematics on how I can get access to it to see if it's clogged?
Got a vacuum with a rubber crevice tool? (Or cut a heater hose at an angle just like a crevice tool's, put it on your vacuum)

Then maybe you could suck out the blockage without having to actually see the clog.

Whatever you do, don't push the clog farther into the drain tube.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:45 PM
etspam

Jury-rigged an attachment to my vacuum using various rubber tubing sizes and pvc pipes and shoved it in there and moved it around a while. It appears to have worked! Thanks for the suggestion.