Notices

99 tl evap probs

Old 09-08-2008, 08:10 PM
drok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 tl evap probs

yo im new to this site just to try and get some information on what the hell is going on with my tl. i spent nearly 2k for a new cat, evap cannister, gas cap and control valves and i cat monitor. check engine came back on after a week, i went back and they replaced another valve (shouldnt have this been done the first time?)The light again dissapeared. the check engine light came back on again after about 10-14 days the code has been p1456 both times. id appreciate any help or information u guys may have, was i ripped off or is somethin sneaking bye and or was somethin replaced that did not need to be? any type of help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks alot
Old 09-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Carbuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That code (Evap system leak) takes several drive-cycles to "set". Once you make a repair and turn off the CEL light it might take the two weeks to come back on.

We had that on our TL and it turned out to be the solenoid valve closest to the left rear wheel near the charcoal canister. The valves stick or corrode from road salt.

PS I changed two other valves first (there was a TSB on one of them) so my total bill was about $150. There are also small hoses back there that could break...I "sealed" them all with synthetic grease.:10q: