Notices

2000 TL - How to change front Wheel bearings?

Old 07-01-2008, 05:43 PM
mikelupo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 TL - How to change front Wheel bearings?

Purchased two new wheel bearings for my 2000 TL today. I know that I'll need to get the old bearings out of the hub and then press the new bearings in. Just curious if there is a "poor-man's" way of getting the bearing out and back in without damaging the hub or new bearing? I don't have immediate access to a press.

It also seems like the parts stores in the north east (Plymouth, MA) don't have presses on hand.
Anyone have any experience with this?
if so... what tools will I need to get the brake caliper off, the rotor off, the hub off?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 07-02-2008, 11:46 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Unless you have done it before, you should pay someone to do it. I remember doing it at auto shop when I was in high school and it is a pretty tedious job.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:39 AM
TL-Super

I had my drivers side one done and the dealer changed the whole hub assembly not just the bearing. More expensive but you don't to worry about getting old one out and new one in.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Carbuff

There is no "poor-man's" way of RELIABLY removing and re-inserting the wheel bearings. You not only need a press, you need several support pieces to prevent damage to the hub during pressing.

I just had a left front bearing replaced (at 140K miles) on my '99, cost about $250 (including the parts) at an independent Honda shop. I do most of the work myself on my cars, but this was one job I farmed out. :chuck: