Notices

2001 3.2TL - AC and fan fail together intermittently

Old 06-11-2008, 02:55 PM
mangravy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 3.2TL - AC and fan fail together intermittently

Has anyone had this happen to them? Had it checked at an A/C place and they said thier was plenty of freon. Just that the compresser was not turning on. They said they reset the concetors under the dash and everything was working fine. I drove down the road and it went out again. After work turned it on and it started working and then went out again after 1 minute. I think it is the control module but can't be sure. The replacement part is $200 and I don't know if I have to remove the dash to get to it. Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated. I'm glad the shop didn't charge me anything they are awesome. They could have told me anything and I would have to believe them. Help.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:29 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

It could be something else, like a relay going bad or loose wires. Why not take it back to the A/C place you took to before and explain to them the problem, that it comes and goes.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:03 PM
mangravy

Default All fan functions gone

I think it is the control module for the dash unit. Is that located behind the dash or in the engine compartment?
AcuraTL, thanks for the reply. I think this might be beyond the A/C shops expertise. The said they don't have a good electical diagram for my car. The dealer closest to me will rape me. But I think I'm going to have to bend over unless someone on here can help.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:21 PM
tek54m

Do all fan speeds work? if not you may have a bad blower resistor. Common problem. Located under passenger side dash, behind blower mtr. Easy to change with medium size Phillips screwdriver. If resistor fails, A/C will not work.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:09 AM
wbc@thevine.net

Default 2001 TL blower resistor

All I have read on this thread makes me believe that I probably have a bad resistor. Is it wise to pursue a used part or should I just pay the $50 at he dealer for a new one?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:28 PM
tbt12626

having the exact same problem but my condensor fan fuses keep blowing also. i hear the ac clutch engage but the internal fan won't come on. i do know that in most cars if your fan oean't work the compressor locks out and will not engage the clutch. this keeps the system from freezing up and causing major damage to the evaporator, condensor, and compressor

be sure you check you fuses and relays under the hood - if i can figure it out, i'll let you know
Old 06-26-2008, 06:19 PM
scott5455

Hi mangravy,

On the passenger side, underneath the glovebox, if you get on your hands and knees and stick your head underneath you should she a white plug with 2 wires sticking out of it. You do not need to adjust or remove anything to get access to this plug. Do you see it? Good. Unplug it and look to see if one or both terminals are corroded. No? Try wiggling the plug around with the Fan Speed on 5. Does the Fan turn on?

Scott (also in SWFL)
Old 06-30-2008, 11:58 AM
wbc@thevine.net

you are a genius! unfortunately, I am not and I cannot get it to unplug. when I wiggle it with the fan switch set on 5, the fan works intermittantly. How do I get it unplugged and then what do I do to fix it?
Old 06-30-2008, 12:12 PM
scott5455

Hi wbc,

I am very glad to hear that this was the problem, as it is easily fixed. I don't know how familiar you are with working on cars, but this plug is fairly standard as far as electrical plugs go. In fact, you can see where the design flaw is, the plug has to make a sharp turn, effectively putting too much stress on the wires. Try using a flat-head screwdriver if you can't use your fingers to press the tab down. Just press the tab of the plug down and pull - maybe you are just not using enough elbow grease. When you get the plug off look for corrosion on the terminals of both the male and female ends. use some sandpaper to get it off and plug it back in. If the plug is too far gone (melted, etc.) find a tl at a junk yard, go there and clip off this plug, leaving plenty of wire on it. Then bring it home and clip off just your plug (leaving extra wire) and tie in the new one. Leave plenty of slack so the plug won't strain the wire like the existing design. If you can't find one at a junkyard, or if the plug at the junkyard is also messed up, try the dealer - but I'm sure it will cost you some ridiculous amount for a replacement. Then again, if you brought it in to the dealer he'd probably charge you a $1000..so it will probably be worth it. Let me know how you make out - I thought it was mangravy with this problem - is this your second screenname?
Old 06-30-2008, 12:36 PM
wbc@thevine.net

mangravy is a separate person. Geez, now I sound schizophrenic!

Unfortunately, I have already spent $50 for a new Resistor at the dealer and it did not solve the problem which, I now know is in the plug. Ah well.

I do have some mechanical experience and I was pushing down on the tab and pulling on the plug (eventually with some channel locks). I think maybe the plug metal is corroded and stuck together. A side note: when I was running the fan and wiggling the plug, one of the wires was getting very hot so I shut it down.