Notices

alternator failure

Old 04-21-2008, 02:08 PM
ajth87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator failure

hey everyone-
I am in need of some help on an issue with my alternator on my 1993 Acura Vigor GS, auto. Well, every time any type of charge is put on the engine, my engine surges. Whether it be the headlights, A/C, or cooling fans, if any one or more than one are on my engine will begin to surge. Sometimes it gets to the point where the engine enters a "limp state" whereas it doesn't go over 3000 rpm's, but that isnt too often at all. My car was fine until one day that I turned on the A/C and while it was on I came to a stop light and it began to surge. Now ever since that, the engine surges with any king of charge put on it. I have no clue how the A/C caused this but I did an alternator "test" that i found on another site whereas I unplugged the green connector from the back of the alternator to see if it clears my problem and indeed it did. None of the problems occurred while it was unplugged but as soon as i reconnected it, the problem came back instantly. I will be replacing the alternator as soon as i get time but I just wanted to see if anyone has any input on why the issue might have occurred in the first place just from the A/C. thanks

AJ
Old 04-22-2008, 02:56 PM
ajth87

any thoughts anyone? any input is appreciated!!
Old 04-22-2008, 06:24 PM
smgtech
Honda Powered.

Well the same belt is connected to the alternator as well as the A/C compressor. I suppose the strain from the A/C compressor on the belt strained the Alternator some how as in the (the last straw that broke the camels back). Anyways before you replace that alt. I would get it checked at your local parts store like Advance, they do it for free.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:28 PM
ajth87

Thank you, that does make sense. I have already tested the alternator and discovered that it is the issue. Back to the A/C compressor straining the alternator, might this be due to a faulty compressor which strained the alternator to the point where it doesnt fully function? the reason i ask is because i notice that when the A/C is on, the compressor cuts in and out and makes some noises, and it also takes away a lot of power from my car. I know the A/C will take some power but i think it takes a bit too much. That is why I think maybe I have a faulty A/C compressor that needs replacing. Any thoughts.

AJ
Old 04-23-2008, 05:18 PM
smgtech
Honda Powered.

Well the A/C system should be looked at by a mechanic. But if your car is old and you say it takes "A lot" of power away then it could be the A/C Compressor locking up and yes this would be an A/C compressor problem. But then again either way a mechanic should look at it. I hate A/C systems I leave that to the mechanic...if its an engine problem, a leak, a belt, a alt., a radiator, a bat., a anything i fix it but if its the A/C I don't care to learn.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:07 PM
ajth87

i will definitely have my mechanic look at it.. luckily for me I have a friend of the family whom is a very well experienced mechanic. any problems i go to him.. i actually had my timing belt break on my about 6 months ago and he basically disassembled the engine, replaced all bad and worn parts, and fixed it and now the engine runs like a champ except for the alternator issue. Well i will get the alternator issue fixed and have the A/C compressor looked at because I am concerned. Thanks for all of your input. I will repost once I have everything figured out!!

AJ