Notices

Vigor tweeters?

Old 08-30-2006, 12:10 PM
G2Nice1972

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vigor tweeters?

I'm starting to delve into the audio upgrade part of things with my 93 Vigor, having replaced the stock radio with a Sony AVA1 HU, and added some bass with an Alpine 12" Sub w/ Alpine 300 RMS Amp that I took out of my previous car. I read up and see that there are supposed to be tweeters between the map light on the headliner. I want to know if anyone knows how these tweeters are wired (running parrallel with the door speakers, maybe?) and is it worth upgrading said tweeters, as I'm upgrading the door and rear deck speakers with another 4-channel, 300 RMS Alpine amp I have. I don't think the tweeters are playing now, so I'm not sure how the sound stage would sound if I were to update these tweets along with the doors are rear deck.

Anyone have an advice/experience on this?
Old 09-01-2006, 09:15 AM
G2Nice1972

no one's ever upgraded the Vigor's audio before?
Old 09-01-2006, 09:14 PM
maquereautin

in my 92 they are up on the dash by the window. i thought there were tweeters in the over head light because it looks like a speaker grill. but i don't hear anything coming out of them. you could check them with a volt meter. see if they are tied into the door speakers or not.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:14 PM
adK

Default Vigor Overhead Speakers

It’s been a while since your post here and you’ve prolly found answers since. So I post this now for others who might have need for this data.
In ’93, overhead speakers may have been standard in the GS and optional with the amplifier in LS models. Dunno about ‘92 or ‘94.
To access/remove these small speakers, first turn off the dome light switch.
Then gently pry off the center “lens” (the one with the opening for the light switch in it). Remember; old plastic often gets brittle after a decade-plus in service, so pry easy.
Remove the bulb and the single bolt from the center of the speaker housing/grille.
At this point you should be able to see the speakers, if they’re installed,
Disconnect the 4P connector for the dome light.
Remove the two screws that attach the speaker mount and disconnect the pair of 2P connectors for the speakers.
A single screw attaches each speaker to the common mount that holds both speakers. There may be another pair screws, one each for a pair of speaker connector/wire retainers, or maybe just one.
Hope this helps.
@
Old 09-11-2006, 05:13 AM
G2Nice1972

Originally Posted by adK
It’s been a while since your post here and you’ve prolly found answers since. So I post this now for others who might have need for this data.
In ’93, overhead speakers may have been standard in the GS and optional with the amplifier in LS models. Dunno about ‘92 or ‘94.
To access/remove these small speakers, first turn off the dome light switch.
Then gently pry off the center “lens” (the one with the opening for the light switch in it). Remember; old plastic often gets brittle after a decade-plus in service, so pry easy.
Remove the bulb and the single bolt from the center of the speaker housing/grille.
At this point you should be able to see the speakers, if they’re installed,
Disconnect the 4P connector for the dome light.
Remove the two screws that attach the speaker mount and disconnect the pair of 2P connectors for the speakers.
A single screw attaches each speaker to the common mount that holds both speakers. There may be another pair screws, one each for a pair of speaker connector/wire retainers, or maybe just one.
Hope this helps.
@

Actually, I haven't touched the dome speakers, since no one responded previously. Thanks for the assistance!
So does that mean Vigor GS's have 8 speaker setups? I noticed there are dash speakers right at the windshield, so that would count with the headliner speakers, dash speakers, front door speakers, and rear deck speakers. I'm impressed for the audio on a car made 13 years ago.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 AM
shawnhu

That is correct, the Vigor does boast a 8 speaker system, GS or LS. The GS radio will make full use of the overhead tweeters, where the LS will use an amplifier unit seperate from the radio.