Notices

Honda/Acura V6 Tranny Warranty Extended

Old 04-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Norcal_02_TLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DTK, they are taking care of the problem? GMAFB, my car is on its 4th tranny in under 23k miles. You call that taking care of the problem? NO. They are poorly managing an issue that potentially causes a hazardous driving condition. If they were taking care of the issue my 2nd tranny would have been my last and I would not be lemon lawing my car.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:25 PM
tonyboy9

I drive the 2001 CL Type S. The transmission failed at 30,000 miles. I used to use the sports shift option, let's just say driving like an enthusiast around the San Francisco Bay Area. I am convinced that is why the transmission failed, but only in my case. Most of the stress I put on the sports shift was power shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear on the freeway staying on the gas, winding it up to around 3500 rpm on the tach. That got me up to around 100 mph; I would upshift to 4th and get off the gas to slow down. But that sucker with those Michelins just kept rolling; it was such a behind the wheel rush. It was a great run while it lasted.

When the CL was towed to the dealer, Acura of Serramonte, and I told them I had read the stories of failed Acura transmissions and Honda extending the warranty, that alone saved a lot of back and forth. Part of the 30,000 mile service was a free transmission replacement. When I drove that baby off, it was two years ago all over again. It really drives like a new car.

But here's my point. Now I just shift it to D for automatic, and leave it there. I'm not looking to push my luck with Honda, and I'm using less gas at $2.49 per gallon for super. I miss blowing away Mercedes Benz, but I will wait patiently for the 400 hp hybrid Acura DNX over the horizon.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:24 AM
dewey

Default TL Transmission Turmoil

I have a 2001 3.2TL with 56K miles. I was on my way to Chicago and my transmission blew. It caused quite a noise and the car jerked until it started blowing very potent white smoke. Turns out that the transmission problem was known to Acura, but they did not attempt to send notices to customers due to the fact that they were not sure what models had the transmission problem. The cellenoids are defective causing them to bust loose into the transmission, thus causing the transmission to blow. At least this is what the dealership had to tell me. Turns out that the technicians at Acura urged them to replace the entire trans because they did not know where the problem stemmed. I asked if this could happen again... the service director replied... I don't think so. I don't think that was a good enough answer. Anyways... I called the main customer service line and the customer care rep was very helpful. The dealership told me the warranty for the trans was 12K after being replaced. The rep indicated it was 7yr/100,000. I have loved my car up until this disaster, because not only am I disappointed in the car, the dealership with whom I had to deal with was a nightmare. The service mgr was completely unwillingly to assist me... making my 200 mile away from home disaster more of a disaster. That's a whole other story.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:40 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Hi dewey, sorry you had to go through this nightmare. Hopefully, your replaced tranny will hold up so you don't have to go through this ordeal again.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 08-28-2003, 11:13 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

while most of your comments are correct, Do you ppl with the tranmissions over 30k doing the maintance? I work at an acura dealership as a tech and see tons of them come in with dark as hell trans fluid. The problem in my opinion is that the transmissions were designed for the 3.0l engines and/or are not designed for the output of the 3.2l and 3.5l engines. Now acura is saying it's a 3rd gear clutch pack problem and they reduced the labor time on replacement, ****ers! anyways, I say this because when you replace the trans Honda makes you replce the tcm and sometimes the fuel pressure reg as well. I had customers come back complianting it lacks power after a trans replacement. The shift points are relaxed in the new tcm and the fuel pressure is lowered. hint hint. go figure
Old 08-28-2003, 11:21 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

by the way i almost forgot, I read the petition and i think it's overkill. I mean go to ford or chevy and see what they do about their tranmission problems after you factory warr. is up. I do agree it has hurt loyal cust. of the brand. I will not personally own a Honda with a automatic transmission. However I think that those ppl complianing don't know how good they have it. Maybe they should go buy another brand, those are the same ppl who cry about anything on the car until the warr. period is over then they go to chuck's independent shop for the work that's not free.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:43 PM
timothybeeler
acura tech

Talking to my factory rep I was informed that the total hp was not decreased with the new tcm but the timming is retarded ms's prior to the 2-3 upshift. There are two problems with the 3.2 tl/cl trans. one is the 2-3 clutch pack is not strong enough to handle the torque form the engine (hince why the new tcm retard the timming ms's to the upshift.) and the lock up solnoid uses a weak spring. (why we are requied to strain the fuild prior to order an reman)ahm is taking care of the problem and reg maintance of the fuild helps. But the one thing that have noticed is that MDX's with tranny coolers do not suffer the same fate as mdx's with out. Comptech has a tranny cooler maybe you should look into it
(hey hondatech you have a tranny job on monday to do!!!)
Old 09-14-2003, 06:10 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

that tranny is going to get put into your to do box for tues when you come back :fawk:
Old 11-01-2003, 08:22 PM
jaxenroth

hey guys,

i'm an acura tech, and the problem w/ the trannys is that the computer & trans are not on the same page. there is also a timing belt tensioner recall, but the trans recall and t-belt tensioner recall are only for certain vehicles that fall in between certain production numbers on the car's vin. when you bring your car in for service, the service dept. should be doing a vin stat inquiry to see if your vehical get's these recalls. just ask your service wirtter to do a vin stat inquiry (they should be doing already) on your car.

jake

p.s. this also pertains to the MDX
Old 11-02-2003, 08:04 AM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

what's that have to do with transmissions? and it's a clutch pack problem not a computer problem

Quick Reply: Honda/Acura V6 Tranny Warranty Extended