Notices

Trans fill and oil change on 2002 acura tls 156000 miles

Old 05-06-2016, 07:05 AM
michaelhinchey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans fill and oil change on 2002 acura tls 156000 miles

Ok so I did some research and talked to the owner where I normally go. I did a transfer with a machine on the transmission. To wasn't a power flush but he told me he has oem atf and that is what he uses for Hondas/acuras. However, when I paid for it I asked the mechanic what trans fluid was used he said dex111. I said how come they didn't put dw1 or z1 Honda atf in it. He said they don't carry that. I got frustrated and left because the owner wasn't in.
I don't want to make a huge stink because this is what was put in about 50000 miles before and it never caused any issues. Plus they are my mechanics that i have been going to for the life of the car and they have done wonders for me.
Honda says u can use this as an alternative for a short period but it may cause shifting issues. They really never say it harms the tranny just that the shifting will be different. With all that in mind, do I start the process of getting the oil out of there by doing a 3x3, or drive it until it starts shifting funky, drive for a few hundred miles and then start removing the fluid little by little with Hondas ? What does everyone think?
I really don't have money to be wasting on doing the 3x3 if I don't have to. I can prob do this myself but that is still costing around 30-40 bucks more.. I just paid 130.00 and only will swap the fluid out if it is absolutely necessary. Maybe buy a tranny conditioner to supplement the dex3. If this is possible, what would any one recommend for it?
Now for an oil change. I usually put in synthetic high milage but would love to hear what everyone thinks about what engine oil is best?
Old 01-03-2022, 07:47 AM
octabeno1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello OP. You’re gonna get all kinds of folks in here with different advice, but here’s the raw deal... a transmission is a complex hydraulic computer and it works best with clean and correct viscosity fluids. You should absolutely do the best you can to not only replace as much fluid as you can WITH CORRECT SPEC HONDA FLUID and a GENUINE HONDA TRANSMISSION CARTRIDGE FILTER. The blockheads will say “guhhhhhhhh fresh fluid will break your transmission “. No. Fluid will not break anything which is not already damaged. In fact new fluid will make the transmission operational back within specifications and if there are shitty parts or broken bits you will then find them. I think any good tech would advise a fluid and filter change with the correct fluids. I cannot emphasize that enough Speed Test to use the right stuff and not equivalents.

Last edited by octabeno1; 01-04-2022 at 11:55 AM.