Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Dashboard lights won't come on after new stereo installation

Old 12-23-2006, 11:20 AM
My69NovaSS
Car Lovers x 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashboard lights won't come on after new stereo installation

We replaced our factory radio with a Sony, bought all the necessary wiring kits, and the install went smoothly. The new stereo works just fine.

BUT, now my dashboard lights and AC lights won't come on when I turn the headlights on. We checked the fuses, all working and the backup lights work as well. The clock and speedometer lights are working as long as the headlights are turned off, as soon as we turn them on those two go dim.

We unplugged the new stereo and hooked everything back up as it originally was, but still the lights won't come on.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-23-2006, 03:59 PM
93hondablk
TheOtherJesse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a sound system or just a radio?
Old 12-23-2006, 04:21 PM
My69NovaSS
Car Lovers x 2

Just a radio.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:53 AM
JerryS

What type of vechicle is this? If it's an 98-01 accord as your avatar shows, then its a fuse. My brother and I have the same problem with his 98 Accord when we installed a new Kenwood unit into his car last summer. I am assuming you hooked up the dim (orange) wire? That's what was causing the fuse to blow on our setup. FYI, the fuse we had problems with is located on the front passenger side... by the console there (near the door). After replacing the fuse and to resolve the fuse problem, we did not connect the dim wire because it kept blowing the fuse again.

Last edited by JerryS; 12-24-2006 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:24 AM
My69NovaSS
Car Lovers x 2

Yes, the avatar is our car. A 2000 Accord Ex.

We did not hook up the orange wire. We have checked all the fuse boxes (both sides and under the hood). We have no blown fuses, but we replaced them just to be sure, and our backup lights still work.

This has us stumped!
Old 12-24-2006, 09:12 AM
JerryS

If memory serves me correctly, for some odd reason, the 98-01 accord has a positive and negative wire for the dim switch... (orange, and orange/black?). But anyways, one is postive and the other is negative; I recall we disconnected both. As for the fuse, I am positive it's where I told you. Just to test things out, turn your lights on, and have someone behind your car. Determine if the parking lights come on in the rear... If they don't than it's the same problem we had... everything you mention above resembles the same problem we had. If not, it's something else and you may have to check the fuse box in the engine bay as well. I remember it took us a while to determine which fuse because of size and location.

PS. I wish my brother was here, then I could tell you which fuse it is but I'm sure it's a fuse that's causing this problem. You may need to pull each one out to inspect because the one we replaced belong to a circuit that we thought had no connection to the lighting what so ever. It is in that location I mentioned though, that I'm sure of. Oh yes, look for that thread... I remember posting it in this same forum as well.

Last edited by JerryS; 12-24-2006 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:30 AM
Misa
Pic Whore

if the dash lights are on when the headlights are off, and v.v..... you may have shorted the dimmer wire..... and in the process, fried the driver's side multiplexer.

check these threads

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...ht=multiplexer
Old 12-24-2006, 09:30 AM
JerryS

Haha... it's the illumination wire... not dim.

Anyways, here's my original post:
https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=245446

I didn't post the fix in that thread but I did here in yours. It was a fuse as I described.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:18 PM
mr22na
Miss It.

its simple really///always forget about the orange wires while installing a radio...not worth the hassel...
Old 12-25-2006, 05:37 PM
mitsurugi

In your fuse box do you have a fuse labeled for just the dash lights, or is it a single fuse for the dash lights and other lights as well. This will give a good place to start.