Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Questions about Dynamat

Old 04-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Black95Accord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Dynamat

So my buddy just gave me a brand new trunk kit made by dynamat that is about 2.5 feet long and 1.5 feet wide..My question is about installing the dynamat....Basically I am looking for everything i need to do in order to install it. Thanks
Ryan
Old 04-13-2006, 08:31 PM
b00gers

First you have to decide where you want to put the mat. If there are any nuts, screws, wires, harnesses, you will want to avoid covering those areas because you might need to access them later. Also think about whether or not you can cover the area up in one single piece. If not, you can cut the mat into pieces.

Clean up the area. I would use soap and water to get the dirt off...then some kinda solution that will remove sticky residue, oil, or grease. Then press on the mat. You might want to remove a bit of the contact paper instead of removing the whole sheet because itll be hard to move around a big sheet of sticky mat. I usually peel the edge off, then apply it onto the metal, then pull the backing off of it as I am pressing the mat on the metal.

After the area is covered, make sure there are no bubbles. You want everything to be in contact with the metal. You can use a rubber roller or anything else you can think of to press the mat onto the metal really well.

Some people like to heat up the matting before applying it because it is more flexible. Have fun.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:46 PM
First-Bass
12 Volt Master

/\ i agree completely, Have fun! /\
Old 04-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Black95Accord

Ok well i was thinking about just putting the whole mat on the trunk lid...But i looked and there are some nuts and screws and little plastic things on the trunk lid...so would you recommend just cutting it into strips and sticking it inbetween the screws, or just sticking it over everything?
Old 04-15-2006, 08:29 AM
First-Bass
12 Volt Master

Personally when installing Dynamat I always run right over screws and clips, always be sure to use the dyno roller, or a laminate roller from the depot.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:29 PM
mishqua

LOL get b-quit from ebay 100sq ft roll 1buck a foot works good adheres good and u get a lot of it so if you have problem areas you can dbl layer and it wont kill your wallet.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:18 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by mishqua
LOL get b-quit from ebay 100sq ft roll 1buck a foot works good adheres good and u get a lot of it so if you have problem areas you can dbl layer and it wont kill your wallet.

He has the trunk kit already...and it was free :hs:
Old 04-19-2006, 07:41 PM
mishqua

Originally Posted by b00gers
He has the trunk kit already...and it was free :hs:
wooops well then after ya clean with the soap use denatured alcohol. This stuff is great for this application it will pull up all the soap res.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Isn't it a good idea to also use a heat gun when Appying Dynamat? When I did my 67 Camaro, the doors had so many peaks and valleys that the making it softer helped it mold better. Just pressing it alone didn't work.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:50 AM
mishqua

You want the dynamat to be the same temp as the car. you can use a heat gun but you run the chance of the backing coming off. I would just lay it on the roof of the car in the sun for a few min it will heat up enough. Most people run in to the problem of it not sticking cause they put it on when the metal is to cold, if it sticks it'll come of shortly after cause it wont bond right, not to mention all the condensation traped under it. Thats what gets most people.