Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Does a capacitor eliminate whining noise?

Old 02-08-2006, 09:22 PM
soulbrother2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a capacitor eliminate whining noise?

I heard that adding a capacitor helps to eliminate the whining noise most of us have is that true? Ive never heard of that before.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:54 PM
b00gers

That whining noise is actually noise being induced from the engine into your system. This can be caused by cheap RCA connections or a bad ground connection. If you have this problem, I would look at the grounding point first. You have to make sure that it is a solid connection to the bare metal of the frame.

Describe your system to us a little more.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:23 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

it is possible for a capacitor to reduce or eliminate engine whine... but like he said, look for other possible causes first before spending money. In an audio system, the capacitor is normally used to help with sudden current draws from the amp, reducing strain on the cars charging system.

Check your grounds, if you have more than one amp, make sure they are all grounded to the same point. If your RCA cables are run on the same side of the car as your power wire, try seperating them.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:43 AM
soulbrother2007

I got a JL audio 300/4 and a 1000/1 in my 04 Honda accord coupe, and ive had the whine for awhile. I used to have the amps grounded through the same point but then I seperated them. My power wires and my rca's are on opposite sides of the car, so thats not it and its stinger cables and wires so its good stuff. I tried grounding the deck, no dice. But I think I am going to use some shorting plugs to try and isolate the problem further, I bought a gnd isolator and that didnt even work so I was just wondering if a capacitor in some strange way would eliminate the bitch noise.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:52 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

put your grounds back together and make sure they're to a very good place... read- not sheet metal... look for heavy supports and make sure the area is clean and not painted. Oh yea, keep the ground cables as short as possible and the same gauge as the power wires.

Brand of RCAs dosent really matter... you can get noise with any cable if done right.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure youre not running power and audio cables next to each other.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:33 PM
soulbrother2007

I got a new 06 Kenwood deck and it eliinated all my problems, my system is perfect just the way I like it. I wish I didnt have to pay 350 bucks to make it happen, but when it comes to having pure sound there is no obstacle. Thanks for all the advice. Everything that was mentioned I have done once or twice already, so this problem was really starting to piss me off, but its gone now so....cool.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:28 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

What model Kenwood did you get? Im still waiting on the KDC-MP832.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:58 PM
soulbrother2007

I got the MP732, itrs pretty clean. The guy at bestbuy pulled it out of the back for me and took some money off the top. Not as much options to manipulate sound, but it does a pretty good job with what it has, a damn good job.