Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

thumping noise

Old 01-19-2006, 05:58 AM
flyromeo3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thumping noise

Theres this strange thumping noise that comes up when im in my car.
At times the music could be playing at a moderate level and all of a sudden the bass starts to thump extensively loud. I could lower the volume all the way down and the thumping is still there.
I typically turn the radio off/ on and it goes away. Im certain its my amp causing this problem.
Im using an audiobahn A8000T amp to a 12' L7. Just to be certain im going to replace the amp with another of the same.
Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Old 01-19-2006, 07:07 AM
2legit2quit
You Big Dummy

I remember having that exact problem. I switched out the RCA's hoping it would fix it and it actually did.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:41 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
I remember having that exact problem. I switched out the RCA's hoping it would fix it and it actually did.
I was thinking that also but even when I have the radio volume lowered sometimes the bass still makes that nasty thumping noise.

I think Ill replace the AMP and see.
I want to remove my XM tuner also.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:49 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

How long is your ground wire? Many problems can be traced back to a bad ground. Are the subs moving a lot when this is happening? A friend of mine had the same problem, even with the radio turned all the way down. Turned out he had a terrible ground. Wish I had taken pictures of that mess.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:02 PM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by totalimmortal
How long is your ground wire? Many problems can be traced back to a bad ground. Are the subs moving a lot when this is happening? A friend of mine had the same problem, even with the radio turned all the way down. Turned out he had a terrible ground. Wish I had taken pictures of that mess.

I may have to tighten down the amp though. I believe it does move a tad.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:19 PM
b00gers

Make sure all your connections are tight. Loose RCAs might do that, samd with a bad ground location.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:49 PM
orbit77

my roommate's amp did the same in his mr2, i got sick of it and beat the crap of it and it stopped for a bit but i ended up putting my spare amp in there. the amp was actually just too old and was abused so it was gone anyways.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:00 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by orbit77
my roommate's amp did the same in his mr2, i got sick of it and beat the crap of it and it stopped for a bit but i ended up putting my spare amp in there. the amp was actually just too old and was abused so it was gone anyways.

thats the same exact thing i've been doing.
Once it thumps I pound on the amp with a closed fist. Then it goes away.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:05 AM
b00gers

Instead of pounding on it. Try and wiggle some of the wires on the amp. Maybe you hvae something loose and pounding it puts it back in place.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Bmpn
Audiophile

sounds like an rca is coming loose, or maybe internally the rca connection/wiring is fawked. a ground would cause it but not as frequently as an rca... make sure the radio is off when playing with rca's unplugging them and all. good luck.