Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Alpine Type R Please respond this evening!

Old 01-09-2006, 11:49 AM
mikesta21
93preludesi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine Type R Please respond this evening!

Well ive been looking at the alpine type r 12". What do you guys think of this sub? 500 watts rms for around 200$, its not bad.
This is considerably less wattage than the idmax you guys told me to get before(1000). However, do you think this sub could put out satisfying, I'd say medium(I dont want a bass machine, just something reasonable) bass for my prelude? I only want one sub, and I mentioned before I listen to rap music, so I was advised to get the 12 over the 10.

If I were to get this, I will hopefully buy it today with 10% off. What amp do you recommend. I wouldnt mind buying the eD nine 600W amp, but would that be overdoing it for such a sub? Any suggestions would be great.
The ednine http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?...=Specs&cur=USD produces 200 x 2 at 4 ohms.
Is this not what I want? I plan on only having one sub and amp, should I find something that runs off 2 ohms instead of four? I hate the fact that the sub runs at a lower rms because its running at 4 ohms. Should i avoid that and buy a sub that is a dvc 2 ohm? crutchfield is confusing me on the phone.
mike

Last edited by mikesta21; 01-09-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:29 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Get a 2 ohm stable mono amp. Assuming your speaking about the dual 4 ohm coil, run the speaker in parallel. I wouldn't do the eD amp only because its not 2 ohm stable when bridged, which is what your going to need to do to run this speaker. Id shoot for 550-600 watts RMS into 2 ohms. Headroom is always nice. Heres a diagram on how to wire the sub to the amp to yield the correct load http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftec...8&image=Submit
The RF diagrams are a little bit confusing but you should be able to get the picture. On the sub, + to + and - to -. Then out to the amp, make sure the polarity is correct.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:34 PM
mikesta21
93preludesi

well this changes things, i talked to alpine and they suggested the alpine type r 12" dvc 2 ohm instead of the four, and he told me that would allow me to run the ed nine as a 600Wx1x4ohm
would that work?
the msrp is the same as the other one, but i found it here so who knows what it would cost (does that site seem legit?)

thanks
mike

Last edited by mikesta21; 01-09-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:37 PM
97teg

Same difference. You can run either dual 4 and find a 2 ohm stable amp or dual 2's and run it in 4 ohms. It depends on what amp you want to run and if it makes power at 4 ohms or 2 ohms.