Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

2001 civic si speaker question

Old 12-08-2005, 05:23 PM
pixeljr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 civic si speaker question

Hello,

I currently own a 2001 honda civic si and when I had the stock stereo and speakers and the speakers would "cut out" everytime I would listen to music loud and with a lot of bass. When I mean "cut out" I mean the music woudl just stop like the cd is skipping (I use an mp3 player with the tape for souninput for the stock stereo).

When I changed the stereo to a the JVC KD-DV5100 I still couldnt pump the music loud without the speakers cutting out. Oh and I bought the JVC deck because it was the only at the time that I could find with a front aux-in input for my mp3 player.

I than changed the back speakers to JBL (forgot the model # I know they are 75watt RMS and 210 peak if that helps) and it helped a bit but the speakers still cut out.

Now I am wondering, what could be causing this and how could I fix it? Should I just upgrade the front door speakers and get a 4ch amp to power the system (I am not planning on getting a sub) or should I just get the amp for now. I am thinking of getting a new battery if I do but would I need a cap since its only for the inside?

I heard that the 2001 civic alt. pumps out 90amps and a 500watt amp would take 40 of those amps so I guess I might need a cap just for the heavy parts of the songs.

Thanks for reading!!
Old 12-08-2005, 06:11 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

The amp will most likely fix the problem because you will be using external amplification and all new speaker wire. There is some underlying problem with the wiring.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:54 PM
pixeljr

thx, thats what i was thinking (wires) but was hoping it wasn't.

thx