Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

viper alarm system [?s]

Old 12-08-2005, 10:38 AM
acuraintegra91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default viper alarm system [?s]

I was just looking at some alarm systems and I saw that vipers keyless start isnt to expensive. Does anyone know if they are good, are they hard to install?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I have one. Pretty hard to install unless you are good at wiring.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:56 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

u really have to know what ur doing as far as the wiring, with instructions and know-how u can do it for ur first time in a good 8-10 hours, or u could buy it from best buy and the install is free and waranteed...just a thought
Old 12-08-2005, 04:14 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

also...if your stick...you can TRY to install it...but trust me...it's not gunna be easy, ask shmoo, he didn't even bother trying to mess w/ his remote start on the manual tranny
Old 12-08-2005, 04:41 PM
VPUPPY

Viper is a very reputable brand of alarms made by DEI. They are not warrantied unless they are installed by a professional installer. The install of a remote start should take a while(8+hrs) your first time. Honda/Acura are some of the easiest cars to intall alarms on though.

If your car is a manual transmission, it is illegal to have remote start. It can be installed very easily but if you leave your car in gear, it will jump forward or backward depending on the gear. A typical remote start makes 3 attempts to start your car so if left in gear, it will go a good distant.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:16 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

I just make sure I short run my car EVERYTIME I get out of it. Id did that for a month before I even installed the 556UW bypass that my car required.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

It only took me 4 hours to install mine, but I am very good with soldering and I found the wires really easily using a guide. I didn't bother with the remote start because firstly, I couldn't get it to work correctly when i wired it up and secondly, I don't need it.

I am going to figure out how to bypass the ignition controlled locks this weekend because I hate how it unlocks every time the turbo timer shuts off and I am nowhere near the car.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:18 AM
VPUPPY

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
It only took me 4 hours to install mine, but I am very good with soldering and I found the wires really easily using a guide. I didn't bother with the remote start because firstly, I couldn't get it to work correctly when i wired it up and secondly, I don't need it.

I am going to figure out how to bypass the ignition controlled locks this weekend because I hate how it unlocks every time the turbo timer shuts off and I am nowhere near the car.
Ya, that would suck if the doors unlocked with your turbo timer. And the programming menu's using the valet button can be a pain but patience is the key.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:28 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Mine doesn't do that and I use the turbo timer everytime I get out of the car. What kind of car do you have Schmoo?? Does a green key light up on your instrument panel when you start your car?
Old 12-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by VPUPPY
Ya, that would suck if the doors unlocked with your turbo timer. And the programming menu's using the valet button can be a pain but patience is the key.
The doors do unlock when the turbo timer shuts off, so I had to enable passive arming so it would lock within 30 seconds of shutting off if the remote is out of range and doesn't let me know that it has shut off. Hopefully, this weekend, I can bypass the ignition controlled locks and disable passive arming because I am scared that it will passively lock my keys in the car if I forget them in there.

Originally Posted by totalimmortal
Mine doesn't do that and I use the turbo timer everytime I get out of the car. What kind of car do you have Schmoo?? Does a green key light up on your instrument panel when you start your car?
I have a 96 GSR, so I don't have the immobilizer that you are referring to. I don't use the turbo timer feature on the alarm because I already have an HKS Type 0 which works better anyway.