Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

How to create blue backlite on autometer gauges?

Old 11-14-2003, 12:34 PM
Y2A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to create blue backlite on autometer gauges?

I was thinking of getting the Autometer Cobalt gauges, but they're MAD expensive compared to the regular Ultra-Lite gauges, like $50 for a Ultra-Lite water gauge and $120 for a Cobalt C2 water gauge . What a ripoff, so im wondering if there was any way to create the same kind of blue backlighting on a Ultra-Lite gauge that looks similar to a Cobalt C2 gauge? If there is just a small bulb that I just have to replace, what size is the bulb and where can I get it?
Old 11-14-2003, 04:58 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

The cobalt series uses blue LEDs inside for the lighting. You can do the same on any other series of their gauges by replacing the 168 bulb with a LED bulb designed for the same socket... which can be found on ebay or many other places. You'll want to look for ones with the inverted tip to disperse the light.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:55 PM
Pimpin Olds
E-mail lists for sale-ehh

this is kinda a late reply, but i did the exact same thing you want to do...only i never installed the gauges, and they were cheap-o's . My dad is an electrical engineer, so i had him and his guys figure out the resistance i needed to use for the specific blue LED's i bought. They you hook them up in paralell (each LED/Resistor set), and wire them to your power source, or to the consol light switch. If the gauge was made for a bulb, the effect wont be as good, but its still 200x better than the stock yellow bulb. If you have any questions, PM or AIM me.