Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

02 Civic install help

Old 07-19-2002, 09:56 AM
FromTheBottom
Driver of Trains

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Civic install help

Hey everybody,

I'm installing the HU, amp, subs for my friend into his 2002 Civic coupe. I have a 99 so I do not know his car like I do mine. I just have a couple of questions about the 02:

1. What length power cable is needed?
2. I punched through the firewall below the glove box / battery in my 99, but I'm wondering where the best spot is to use for the 02.
3. Anybody have any problems during their install?
4. Is there a website with install info for the 02 Civic? I am looking for specifically the 02, just to see differences and things I'm not used to without getting the Haynes or Helms manuals.

Thanks a lot in advance, your help is appreciated.
Old 07-20-2002, 02:09 AM
LjN_728

Well bascially installing an amp and HU is the same as any other car. For the HU, you basically need to have the correct harness and kit, which you should know since you've done it to your 99' before.

Now I got a question for you: Are you planning to buy an amp kit? Usually the length of the power cable and pretty much all cables given in the kit is the correct length, which is about 17 ft.

Typically when "punching" a hole thru the firewall, it's done where the clutch would be. Meaning driver's side. Reason being is that driver's side has the power and the passenager's has the RCA cables. In that way, no distortion or any probs will happen. Also I find the driver's side to have more room to work with cuz the passenager's has the fuse box and other things that might get it in the way.

There's not much difference from different generations of Hondas. Once you have mastered one yr, you've mastered it all! haha
Old 07-20-2002, 10:08 AM
FromTheBottom
Driver of Trains

Thanks a lot for the response. My friend bought the amp kit and harness kit so all I'm left with is the fun of taking apart the interior. I'm just hoping for Honda consistency through the generation changes. Install happens tomorrow, I'll post to tell how it came out. Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:02 PM
FromTheBottom
Driver of Trains

Just in case anyone cares...I doubt it but here goes...

I know the 96-00 Civics inside and out...the 2002 was more or less the same, but they seem to have really concentrated on ease of panel removal and manufacturing than solid construction. The dash is now mostly clips instead of screws, and the floor side panels use shoddy joints to connect to the rear seat side panels. Word of advice: be careful and patient with them. Dash design isn't bad, easy to install and remove once you see how the clips are attached. Other than that, not having the metal sheet on the rear seatbacks surprised me, as well as the sleeve design of the seat covers. Again, ease of removal, construction = lower costs for Honda in the long run. Any thoughts or comments appreciated.