Notices

How easy to replace alternator?

Old 08-14-2003, 12:20 PM
Knightmare69
Hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How easy to replace alternator?

My GF's current 91 Dx needs a new alternator, how easy is it to replace? It's really struggling right now. She just bought a newer Civic but it's the shop for repairs so she has to continue using this one for now. This will be her 3rd Alternator I think. Also, does anyone know where to get a good repair manual for this car? Thanks for any info.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:48 PM
kd5dbl

I put a new alternator on my '89 Civic a couple of months ago and while not trivial, it wasn't too bad. The only real problem was that the bottom bolt had seized and I rounded the nut off trying to get it loose. At that point, I had to bring out the Dremmel tool and cut across it to split it (which basically ruins the nut and bolt). Local Honda dealer had one, so not a big deal.

The only other thing of note, was I had to take the bottom alternator bracket off the engine block to have enough room to take it out the bottom. Didn't want to take the intake manafold off to take it out the top! Jack the car up by the jack point, remove the left front tire which will drop the half axle down enough so that you should be able to wiggle it through.

Hope this helps....
Old 08-14-2003, 06:45 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

I took mine out before. It sucks ass with a ZC because its too big to bring out the top and you have to take it out of the bottom by removing an axle and pulling the intermediate shaft.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:38 PM
Knightmare69
Hater

Thanks all for the info, Now I just need to locate an alternator and some tools. Does anyone have an idea of all the tools needed for this job? How many hours am I looking at?
Old 08-15-2003, 03:44 PM
excitid

I believe you will only need a 12mm and a 14mm in a socket and a wrench. I just pull my master cylinder and drag it through the top I haven't broke any brake lines yet but its your decision.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:02 AM
glueslabs

Default '88 DX

my alternator just went on my '88 DX. i want to try to replace it myself. is this something someone with little experience should try? i know what it looks like, at least. : ) any more tips, specifically for a beginner? what's this about removing an axle?

thanks!
Old 08-25-2003, 10:12 AM
excitid

If you have the time and patience you should be able to do this even with little to no experience. If you have the right tools and know how to use them its pretty simple. Where are you located maybe your close to someone on the forum who wouldn't mind supervising for a beer or two.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:27 AM
glueslabs

hey, excitid. i live in arlington, va. it's just outside washington dc. i think i'm gonna try it. if anyone lives around here and wants to help, the beer will FLOW! on a related note (me being a retard when it comes to cars), can someone recommend the best repair manual for my car? the haynes ones are good, eh?
Old 08-25-2003, 02:57 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Originally posted by glueslabs
hey, excitid. i live in arlington, va. it's just outside washington dc. i think i'm gonna try it. if anyone lives around here and wants to help, the beer will FLOW! on a related note (me being a retard when it comes to cars), can someone recommend the best repair manual for my car? the haynes ones are good, eh?

helmmmmmms....

http://www.helminc.com/helm/search_s...DJX9PQPULH7AVE