Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

C&D: Dodge Neon SRT-4

Old 11-09-2002, 09:00 AM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car & Driver: Dodge Neon SRT-4

0-60mph: 5.6sec
1/4mile: 14.2sec@102mph

:jawdrop:

Even though I'm not a big fan of the Neon, I must give Dodge mad props for the accomplishments.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:34 AM
AcuraFanatic

It's a sad day when you'll narrowly beat a Dodge Neon in a drag race with a Boxster S.
Old 11-09-2002, 11:17 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Originally posted by AcuraFanatic
It's a sad day when you'll narrowly beat a Dodge Neon in a drag race with a Boxster S.
Yes, BUT..... Dodge must still use a turbo to pull that off. Ask them to coax that power with nothing but a block, pistons, and cams. Their engineers will look kind of like this .

Still proves Germany and Japan got it goin on!
Old 11-09-2002, 11:22 AM
AcuraFanatic

Looking at the spec sheet, interesting things to note:

1. 5-speed manual is one gear to little (6-speed is almost a pre-requisite these days)

2. 75dBA at 70mph is friggin loud, period.
3. 6000RPM redline will not entice Honda guru's
4. 14.0psi of boost puts a lot of stress on the engine
Old 11-09-2002, 11:27 AM
fastball
A little chin music

With that kind of boost stress, I'm guessing the pistons, rods, and crank are all iron, as is the block. Jeez, 75db would give me a headache by the time I get to work in the morning (40 minute drive, all freeway)!
Old 11-09-2002, 11:30 AM
cheezthis
sound/acoustical engineer

Looking at the spec sheet, interesting things to note:

1. 5-speed manual is one gear to little (6-speed is almost a pre-requisite these days)

Just so you know...most cars, such as my GS-R (w/stock cat back) is louder than 80 dBA (A weighted, non-weighted, it's about 88 dB)...so it's not THAT loud. Not trying to start anything, just stating that.
Old 11-09-2002, 01:58 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally posted by fastball
Dodge must still use a turbo to pull that off. Ask them to coax that power with nothing but a block, pistons, and cams.
Who cares how they do it? Does it make the car any better or worse because of what technique is used to make that output? You could say the same thing about any Honda, Porsche or BMW engine and be like, "Well they still need to use a cam-switching system to pull that off." Psh.

1. Most 6-speeds just have two overdrive gears, 6th is for pussin around on the highway and saving gas.
2. 75 dBA ain't that loud. Besides, it's at redline...do you really expect the car to be whisper-quiet?
3. Honda gurus? How many "Honda gurus" are there exactly?
4. The motor only runs 8.1:1 CR. The WRX runs 14 psi of boost stock also, is that motor overstressed?

Originally posted by fastball
With that kind of boost stress, I'm guessing the pistons, rods, and crank are all iron, as is the block. Jeez, 75db would give me a headache by the time I get to work in the morning (40 minute drive, all freeway)!
As I've already said, this is not the first production motor in history to run 14 pounds of boost. And unless you drive to work at redline the whole way, you won't have to deal with a 75 dBA racket.

[edit] Now don't think that I'm like worshipping the SRT-4, I'm not. The skidpad numbers compared to the Focus SVT and Mazdaspeed Protege indicate that the chassis engineers could have spent a bit more time getting everything dialed in, given that the car's already riding on Pilot Sport tires. Neither the Focus nor Protege has that kind of sticky rubber yet manages to pull much better numbers on the skidpad. However if you look at the braking distance the stickier tires on the Neon show where they really help.
Old 11-09-2002, 02:33 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Originally posted by MrFatBooty
(banter, banter, blah, blah, blah)
Turbos are old. It's outdated, out of step with today's technology, and is a cheap, unreliable bang-for-the-buck way to make a car fast. If anyone can do it, its no achievement. Variable valve timming takes some fantastic engineering and precision crafting that Dodge just can't do. Plain and simple. Dodge Neons are rough, buzzy, and terribly annoying to drive to begin with in base form. You think a turbo'ed engine will be any quieter? It's just a cheap piece of plastic that's really fast. wow.
Old 11-09-2002, 04:43 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Really, does it bring you pleasure while you're driving to work to think of all the math those Japanese guys did when designing your car? If you're going to make an argument, please use logic and premises which are at least reasonable. "Fantastic engineering and precision crafting"? Dude, adding superlatives to your sentence doesn't make you sound any smarter, it just looks like you're trying too hard.

These opinions about turbochargers are quite unfounded. If I were to follow your line of reasoning, cars such as the Mazda RX-7 TT, Nissan Skyline GT-R, Mitsubishi Lancer EVO, Nissan 300ZX TT, Porsche 911 Turbo, Subaru Impreza WRX, Toyota MR2 Turbo, Toyota Celica alltrac and Toyota Supra TT would be low-tech hunks of junk with no thought put into them and no precision in their craftsmanship.

As for the SRT-4, the point of it is exactly what you said it is--to be cheap and go fast, refinement be damned. Obviously you're more concerned with things like a cushy ride and a quiet motor than with going fast and can't understand the appeal of a low 14-second car that costs 20 grand. Oh, and Neons aren't made out of plastic.
Old 11-09-2002, 04:57 PM
Toqureintourer
dontcha?

Originally posted by MrFatBooty
As for the SRT-4, the point of it is exactly what you said it is--to be cheap and go fast, refinement be damned. Obviously you're more concerned with things like a cushy ride and a quiet motor than with going fast and can't understand the appeal of a low 14-second car that costs 20 grand. Oh, and Neons aren't made out of plastic.
wned:wned:wned:

hehe yeah.. i just thought i would mention the itr factor! i guess if it doesnt have a h badge and is loud, stiff and can pull a 14 second 1/4 mile stock, its gotta be trash.. open your minds people, American car companies were bound to catch on to trend soon or later..

later..