Notices

CBS Marketwatch S2000 Article

Old 12-13-2003, 04:34 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBS Marketwatch S2000 Article

WASHINGTON (CBS MW) -- You can brew up a first-class argument that will be hot enough to melt any winter snow with the following question: Is the Honda S2000 a poor man's Porsche Boxster?

The improvements on the 2004 S2000 (see slide show) will be enough to inflame that battle still further.

We really don't have enough space to list all of the changes. But we love the added low- and mid-range grunt that improves passing times on the back country roads where the S2000 really shines.

The dual overhead cam, 16-valve four-cylinder engine still churns out 240 horsepower -- but does it at lower revs. Sprints from, say, 50 miles an hour to 70 are much improved, and the rev-happy four (redline at 8,000 rpm) never fails to deliver smiles as it enters the upper stratosphere of its range. The EPA says it will return 20 to 25 miles per gallon.

And that brings us to the best feature on the car -- the six-speed manual transmission. It is an absolute delight. Snick, snick, snick and you remember with just a slight flick of the wrist just how much fun driving can be. We wish all carmakers would spend a little time with this six-speed and take copious notes.

Back-road handling is flat and the steering is sports-car sharp. We really could not fully stretch out the car due to an early arrival of Old Man Winter, but we are dead certain that it will meet the demands of the most ardent sports-car driver. It is nothing but gangs of fun to drive.

Downsides? Not many. You will hear lots of road noise, but hey, it's a sports car. An inch or three taken off the rather wide center console would make the inside less of an almost-too-tight fit. Interior storage space is at a premium and some minor buttons or knobs are poorly placed behind other controls. And that's it.

So let us consider the original question. The S2000 is a bit quicker accelerating to 60 mph than the Boxster S, and they are virtually identical to 100. ("But, officer, it was only in the realm of scientific research.") Their top speeds are virtually identical, panic stops from 60 mph are within a foot of one another, and the Boxster beats the S2000 on the skidpad.

Our test Honda (HMC: news, chart, profile) listed at $33,260 and the Boxster lists at about $51,000. The Honda lacks the legendary Porsche name badge (which is no small thing), but you could also take the wife to a very, very nice warm island in January for the difference in price. Which is our way of pointing out what a great deal the S2000 is. Your passions and your bank account, plus your wife's love (or hatred of winter), will probably settle the question.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:28 PM
Tirod

uber ness... thx for posting
Old 01-04-2004, 03:24 AM
94civicEX
I got worms.

That's a pretty cool article. I was unaware that the S2000 was being so closely compared to the Boxster .

duck squad member #00003
Old 02-29-2004, 03:30 AM
s2ktonv

Great article! I dunno how I missed this threndh:
Old 02-29-2004, 02:44 PM
geekbooks

The S2000 isn't a poor man's Boxter. It kicks base Boxter's butt ... and it's the equal of the Boxter S in performance for how much less? Bolt on a blower for a few grand and say goodbye to Boxter S as it fades away in the rearview ...
Old 02-29-2004, 04:48 PM
4thGenReady2Go
Throbbing Member

I still dunno if I'd call it a close comparison (disregarding price of course), check out this race from a Best Motoring video and tell me the Boxster is close in comparison to the S2k. Check it out anyway, it's a fun video to watch.

http://auto.joins.com/upboard/pds/pd...kubaBattle.asf
Old 05-01-2004, 01:33 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

What's up with the whole name badge thing? I get so sick of Honda getting the back burner to company's like porshe. I would rather have a S2k any day then that euro trash.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:48 PM
TrUeBrEaKeRz

CBS stands for "Can't Back Story" by Leno for their political views, but anyway, I could've written a better article about the S2000. They did a little-below-average job on writing this article. It's not like their a car mag like Road and Track.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:16 AM
LateApex
Track Day Club

Why don't they just refer you to the SCCA B-stock results for the past few years?

The Boxster S is in A-Stock class.

The Boxster and the S2000 are in B-Stock class. In 2003 the S2000 took most of the top 10 positions with the best Boxster in fourth.

In 2004, the S2000 took all of the top 16 places at the National in Topeka.

Doesn't that say it all?
Old 10-27-2004, 06:07 PM
Josh M

Originally Posted by hondatech
What's up with the whole name badge thing? I get so sick of Honda getting the back burner to company's like porshe. I would rather have a S2k any day then that euro trash.

I'd rather have my S2k over the Boxster yes..........however I don't know about "any" euro car.........I'll even take the "lowly" 360 Modena over my S2k