Notices

91 se automatic overheating problem

Old 09-27-2012, 11:52 PM
davidcrevenston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 se automatic overheating problem

Hello to all on here you guys have helped me out before so thanks to all. I am having the temp gauge go above the 1/2 mark and it almost goes in the red. I am guessing here that something is majorly wrong like the head gasket is going. My friend had one go on his Honda and he drove it and overheated it. I need some help here as to what is going on and what could cause this problem. Also wanted to add sometimes I smell gas in the oil I am sure that has something to do with this please advise me. I don’t smell gas in the oil all the time though. Also sometimes the car takes a while to start like it has a hard start instead of starting/firing up right away.

Okay so here are some things that have been done to eliminate some things....
Spark plugs changed, coolant changed and good, fans and everything on the car works in perfect order, new distributor, new belts and oil just changed.
With that being said can someone please chime in on what this could be and what I can do (options) to fix this.
The car is 91 se 140k on it in great condition.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Cousin It

Start with the simple things. The thermostat could just be stuck shut.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:42 PM
davidcrevenston

I agree I will change it and post back my findings after testing it for 2 weeks.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:28 PM
davidcrevenston

Okay so I think it’s safe to say the car is fixed. Once again thanks to you people on here all of you are the best. I have drove the car hard as shit for almost 2 weeks and everything is okay. Wow who would have thought that little damn part could overheat your Honda........
Old 10-12-2012, 07:37 PM
robbiebravo50

Hey davidcrevenston...glad the thermostate work out for U. Ive got a 90 honda accord 355.000 miles on it original
engine .....I pulled the damn themostate out after about 175.000 Just to keep the temp on the cool side Yeah runs alittle cold in
winter....but livin in So Cal hot more than often Proof is in the puddn Just a suggestion
Old 10-12-2012, 08:49 PM
davidcrevenston

Hello RobbieBravo50
Awesome to hear that your car has that many miles on it and still running okay and well. Glad to hear that and wish you were closer to me I would show you my car. Was car overheating before you changed the thermostat?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:44 PM
robbiebravo50

No my car never really had a heating problem. For preventive maintance and assurance I just pull the thermostate
out. I have 3 accords and a civic in the family .I have 3 boys and myself. So ive purchase old 90-96 to save on car ins.
gas and should "we" say its thier first cars so limit the brainfartn dink and doinks. I commute 80 miles a day to my job here in Southern Calif.
alot of my miles are fwy. Everything is HOT here...yes and including the women. Glad it all work out for U.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:03 PM
mcsurui

The car overheated before, must be changed temperature controller