Notices

Accord fuel issues! Will not run, now...

Old 09-29-2011, 08:51 PM
ShadyOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accord fuel issues! Will not run, now...

I bought a 1993 accord to drive back and forth to work...long story short the main relay was supposed to be bad so the PO had the pump hot wired so the car would run. It ran fine. I drove it home and it ran like a champ. Got home parked it. then I went to start the car to move it and it would not fire.

The fuel pump runs when I cut the key on...but I am getting no fuel. None TO the filter. I pulled the access panel where the wiring goes in on the passengers side in the trunk but there is just a orange plug there. Does not look like a fuel pump at all. I assume sending unit?

I have read some places you need to drop the tank to replace pump and other places say you do not.
example...
http://www.ehow.com/how_7394849_chan...da-accord.html

My car has no access panel on the drivers side in the trunk. I have not had a chance to crawl under it because of rain.

Am I thinking right that even though it the pump runs, and can be heard clearly it is still bad...seeing as I am not getting fuel at the filter?

Any advice would be appreciated. Also I was told they had replaced the main relay once previously. Is there a reason it woulda went twice? Or just shabby luck?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:46 PM
robbiebravo50

Hey ShadyOne ...sorry uve probably fix this problem. Havent been up to date
in looking at the threads. If u have NO access thru the trunk.. then yes u have to drop the gas tank. BUT first i would replace the master relay switch. It controls the hub of info from the ecu. It is very sensitive to heat. And probably got a bad one when replaced (get from dealer)? Hope this is academic and have solved the problem. I have 3 90-93 accords 4-sons 4th-05 accord Have replaced master relay in all 3..... fix fuel gauge in one, access thru the trunk. Also alot of honda owners are not aware of is that ONLY Honda power steering fluid can be used. OTHER replacement fluid will attack the seals in the p/s pump and cause possible seizer of pump
Old 11-11-2011, 12:54 AM
inlemonlaw

Anyone know the actual fuel capacity of the 1984 honda accord lx hatchback? my owners manual says 15.8, but i have ran this thing almost dry and can only put about 11 gallons in it. I just bought it recently with 86k on it, great shape, just cant get the fuel econony accurate due to the tank size issue.