Notices

Oil on the sparkplugs

Old 06-16-2003, 06:57 PM
Accord91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on the sparkplugs

I think that this is a bad sign But I was wondering if anybody knew what is wrong with my car... it is a 91 accord ex and when I changed the plugs there is oil on the top end of the plugs and in the fireing section.... There isn't a ton of oil just a little... The car doesn't seem to have lost any power, and it isn't had to start... Is this a normal thing... and if not how hard is it to fix??? thanks for the help...

Jimmy
Old 06-16-2003, 07:07 PM
drummingaccord

when i last changed my plugs there was some oil in the #2 plug hole. i cleaned it out and have been checking it since then, and there doesn't appear to be any more oil. i don't know if it was because the plug was old, or loose, or what.

probably means that some seals in the head need replacing. i should get it checked out before my warranty runs out.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:45 PM
whoaitslen2
hermit

check your seals :thumbup:
Old 06-17-2003, 07:23 AM
Accord91

Thanks for the help... which seals should I be looking at??? how hard is it to get to them? thanks
Old 06-17-2003, 07:39 AM
decibel_dj

head gasket is the problem.. my friend is having the same problem in his 4th gen accord.. he has oil in the spark chambers on a regualar basis now.. as long as its not in with the spark you'll be fine for the moment
Old 06-17-2003, 11:03 AM
gnehc1

Default Re: Oil on the sparkplugs

Originally posted by Accord91
I think that this is a bad sign But I was wondering if anybody knew what is wrong with my car... it is a 91 accord ex and when I changed the plugs there is oil on the top end of the plugs and in the fireing section.... There isn't a ton of oil just a little... The car doesn't seem to have lost any power, and it isn't had to start... Is this a normal thing... and if not how hard is it to fix??? thanks for the help...

Jimmy
they are called spark plug gromments. you can get them @ your local honda dealer or anywhere. i replaced all four of mine at the same time on my 91 accord and that was the problem, bad seals/gaskets
Old 06-17-2003, 06:28 PM
Accord91

Hey gnehc1 how hard is it to change the gronments? is it something that an avg. joe can do in an afternoon?? Thanks for the help?? anybody else have any ideas on this... SO far it can be three different things, is there anyway to tell which one it is?? Thanks

Jimmy
Old 06-18-2003, 09:53 AM
sickhonda

Accord91,
Before replacing all the spark plug grommets…did you change your motor oil to synthetic recently by any chance? Synthetic motor oil tends to seep thru crevices much easier, like spark plug area, if used on high mileage vehicles. The problem is the synthetic oil contains a more effective added cleaning solution that removes all the years of build up/plug in deposits, even the tiniest one, therefore causing the leak. If that’s the case, change back to regular motor oil and see what happens.
Fill me in. :blue:
Old 06-18-2003, 02:24 PM
Accord91

nope I didn't change to Synthetic oil... i have been using 10W-30 hgih mile oil... I have the Haynes manaul for my car. and I can't find anything about the spark plug gromments... What am I looking for and how hard is it to change them?? thanks

Jimmy
Old 06-19-2003, 05:41 AM
Accord91

anybody know how hard it is to change the grmments??? Thanks

Jimmy