Notices

Turn-On Lead Wire for Amp

Old 06-16-2003, 02:59 PM
bassiccutz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn-On Lead Wire for Amp

I'm installing an amp in my 03 Accord. What wire is a good source of power to use as the turn-on lead for the amplifier? (comes on when the radio has power)
Old 06-16-2003, 03:13 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

The deck does not have a remote turn on wire...

go to autotoys.com, under *Tools* Instalation Hardware, go to "relays"..... you'll need a "Low Voltage Antenna Trigger"... you'll wire this to one of the speaker Positive leads from the radio.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:17 PM
bassiccutz

Um, I've done this before on two cars - an 89 civic and a 91 eclipse. I know the headunit doesn't have a remote turn on lead. I'd like to know which wire (near the fusebox) I can use for the remote turn on lead. I have done this before with a little metal clip that slides alongside one leg of a fuse (I used the fuse for the ignition or radio). All I need is an extremely low current 12 volt signal to turn my amp on when the ignition key is on.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:35 PM
guruck

I used the cigarette lighter wire since it turns on when I turn the car on, works fine.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:14 PM
afrodeziak2k

Has anybody found a good power source for the turn on lead yet???? Right now my amp is ghetto rigged to my liscence plate lights. what color is the 12v ignition wire in 03 accords?
Old 08-27-2003, 10:37 AM
bassiccutz

The setup on my old Eclipse had a clip that went over one leg of a fuse. I did the same in my 03 Accord. I think I used the ACC or IGN fuse, not sure though.

While this works fine, there's one small problem. When your headunit is off, the amp is still ON. This caused the subwoofer (in both my eclipse and accord) to get really loud - the input to the amp was picking up noise and amplifying it.

The right way to do it is to use the lead from the headunit, but since the factory headunit doesn't have one of these, our options are limited.

Does anyone know where I can get a good in-dash installation kit for my 03 LX? I want to remove my factory headunit COMPLETELY and put an aftermarket unit IN THE DASH (NOT below the HVAC controls in the storage compartment).

Keep in mind I have the LX Accord, single CD, with NO additional controls in the stereo.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:41 AM
afrodeziak2k

thanks bass, i found the acc wire in the ignition its the thick all white wire behind the keyhole and put a switch from home depot to control my amp, only thing is im kinda scared because I dont think it turns off even when the engine is off, if I forget to turn off the amp I might come back to a dead battery or melted amp or something bad.... .oh well this will do for now

about the in dash kit... i know the size is akward but since you say there are no additional controls in the stereo it should be possible. and there should be something on the market but I dont know for sure
Old 08-28-2003, 07:46 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

just find the power antenna wire and use that as the remote for the amp ... works everytime.

the power antenna turns on only when your headunit is on ... so you don't have any battery draining issues. also, install a switch on the line to be safe.