Notices

altenator light lights up on and off sparadictly during driving

Old 05-26-2011, 01:41 PM
rekster730

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default altenator light lights up on and off sparadictly during driving

ive just started to notice my altenator light illuminate on and off while the car is driving and in motion. ive noticed when im coming off the throttle the light comes on when i press the gas pedal it turns off right away.....
im new to this forum but not new to the industry but hondas are definitely not my specialty so anyone out there please help me with my problem....
the car is a honda accord 1991 four door lx
Old 05-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Cousin It

That's your alternator's way of tapping you on the shoulder and telling you its time to replace it. When you let off the gas the rpm of the alternator is dropping and so is the amperage output. Your alternator output is dropping far enough to make the light come on. When you hit the gas and speed up the alternator the amperage output goes up enough to make the light go out. I have the same car and I replaced mine a couple of years ago at around 210,000 miles. It's not hard, you just have to get the darn thing rotated the right way, but it will come out the top past the heat shield.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:45 PM
robbiebravo50

Pretty much on the same page as Cousin IT..Does Ur car idle rough and or run rough??
This will make alternator light flash..I had a bad IAC valve (rough idle) cause the alt. light to flash.
OR...its time to replace the alt. Is it original?? how many miles??? I have four.....90-91 Accords