Notices

On the new 2003 4-cyl Accord, Honda recommends 5w-20 non-sythetic oil! Why??

Old 06-11-2003, 12:02 PM
Threxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the new 2003 4-cyl Accord, Honda recommends 5w-20 non-sythetic oil! Why??

Well I guess there are really two parts to this dilema:

1- Why does Honda tell everyone to use 5W-20? Any time I've seen this in the past it has been to boost EPA ratings (lower viscosity oil tends to generate better fuel economy because it takes the internals less effort to push the oil out of the way). But I've always heard that 5-W20 also tends to make engines wear out a little quicker because it doesn't do as good of a job at coating and protecting the motor.

2- The dealership told my buddy that synthetic oil (Mobil 1 in particular) was bad for 4-cyl Honda motors and that he should only use Honda's regular oil. Is there any real reasoning behind that at all or was he just trying to make money and keep him routinely coming in for service?
Old 06-11-2003, 12:53 PM
dlee27

Default Re: On the new 2003 4-cyl Accord, Honda recommends 5w-20 non-sythetic oil! Why??

I guess both are myths.

1. I agree that 5W-20 is recommended to boost CAFE but I don't think it makes severe engine wear. Just look at the following oil analysis. I have 03 EX-L 4 cyl. The result is after 4900 miles of hard driving on Mobil 5W-20. There is no signs of excessive wear and it's still holding up ok.
http://home.attbi.com/~dongpyo/oil_analysis.gif

2. I think this is BS. No need to explain anymore. I actually wanted to use Mobil 1 0W-20 but it just costs too much (roughly 4 times more expensive) and dino is doing its job well. I drive a lot (500 miles a week).

Originally posted by Threxx
Well I guess there are really two parts to this dilema:

1- Why does Honda tell everyone to use 5W-20? Any time I've seen this in the past it has been to boost EPA ratings (lower viscosity oil tends to generate better fuel economy because it takes the internals less effort to push the oil out of the way). But I've always heard that 5-W20 also tends to make engines wear out a little quicker because it doesn't do as good of a job at coating and protecting the motor.

2- The dealership told my buddy that synthetic oil (Mobil 1 in particular) was bad for 4-cyl Honda motors and that he should only use Honda's regular oil. Is there any real reasoning behind that at all or was he just trying to make money and keep him routinely coming in for service?
Old 06-12-2003, 03:14 AM
vtecinside
Cracker Quack!

Having recently quit a job at a Jiffy Lube type place, I 'd like to offer this lil tid bit.

A customer came in with a newer (5W20) Accord. The lube place had a policy of charging extra for 5W20 because it wasn't sold in bulk, so I mentioned that to her, and she said that's fine.

After awhile of schmoozing with her, she said "You know, my car gets better mileage when I come here (the Jiffy lube) than when I take it to the dealer for an oil change."

This got me thinking, and I asked her if she was sure. She said it was very consistent that her fuel economy would vary by 30-40 miles more a tank when she used the Jiffy Lube.

Conclusion: Honda may not be using 5W20 at their dealerships.

Another interesting thing: The new TSX with the juicy K24 requires 5W30.

noel
Old 06-12-2003, 07:27 AM
xawax

the grade of oil you get has to do with where you live and the average temp all year...they use 5w30 up here in South Dakota, but we get -40 in the winter sometimes. In cali and arizona I noticed they put a different grade in because it doesn't get cold, but it does get hella hot...it is just better suited for your ave temp.