Notices

koni/pro-kit spring seating problems

Old 06-09-2003, 01:25 PM
AccordCoup94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default koni/pro-kit spring seating problems

hi. i recently purchased some koni yellows and pro-kit springs and the springs for the rear are seated very crooked on the koni perch. if i flip the springs upside down, it sits onto the perch nicely. i test fited the spring on the stock shock and had the same problem as well so i know its not a defect on the konis. and for the front springs, the top cap that fits over the spring is a little too small too. did anyone else have these problems when installing the pro-kits? i called eibach already and confirmed the correct part numbers. i have a 1994 honda accord.

also, if i use the lowest perch setting for the konis, how much of a gap will i have? how do i measure how much the car has dropped? i have the regular koni yellows, not the neuspeed ones, so only 3 perches for me. is it true that the neuspeed konis have a shorter shock body as well? i thought they were the same. i should have did more research before i bought them..
Old 06-09-2003, 01:35 PM
jschmid

Default Re: koni/pro-kit spring seating problems

Originally posted by AccordCoup94
hi. i recently purchased some koni yellows and pro-kit springs and the springs for the rear are seated very crooked on the koni perch. if i flip the springs upside down, it sits onto the perch nicely. i test fited the spring on the stock shock and had the same problem as well so i know its not a defect on the konis. and for the front springs, the top cap that fits over the spring is a little too small too. did anyone else have these problems when installing the pro-kits? i called eibach already and confirmed the correct part numbers. i have a 1994 honda accord.

also, if i use the lowest perch setting for the konis, how much of a gap will i have? how do i measure how much the car has dropped? i have the regular koni yellows, not the neuspeed ones, so only 3 perches for me. is it true that the neuspeed konis have a shorter shock body as well? i thought they were the same. i should have did more research before i bought them..
I don't have eibach springs, so someone else is gonna have to help you out there...my H&R's fit perfect with both my OEM and my Koni shocks.

About the shocks, the Neuspeed Koni's (SP3's) do have a 20mm shorter shock body as well as the 5 perches.

Concerning the final drop...it will pretty much be whatever Eibach advertises as their drop, + the small amount of difference between the middle perch groove and the lower perch groove (maybe a quarter inch is all?) on your shocks.

Prokit is something like 1.2-1.5", so maybe 1.5-1.75 at most drop.

I used one lower perch up front (I have the SP3's) and then used the middle perch in the rear to try and get an even drop. My car has a bit higher wheel arch up front. I'd say my final drop is about the 1.75F, 1.5R, + .25 up front making it about 2" up front, and 1.5 or so in the rear. The wheel gap is pretty nice and even too.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:12 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

I have a Gen6 like Schmiddy and am running Pro-kits.
I haven't had any issue with stock or the standard Koni-Yellows.

I have heard that Koni doesn't recommend their shocks and Eibachs for the 97+ Lude. Did you check to make sure the Koni's will support the Eibach spring?
I would also double check that the Eibach part no. on each spring matches the no. found for your particular application. You may have the wrong springs.

Did you double check to make sure you don't have V6 or 4cyl-Sedan springs instead of Coupe-4 cylinder springs?
Old 06-10-2003, 12:05 AM
CalBearz24

did you look at the part of the perch that sits on the perch ring of the shock? there's a cutout on the perch that will help you figure out how the perch should be mounted.

also, check out this thread about 94s and konis. it turns out that the koni yellows lower 94-95s more than 96-97s because perch and spring heights are different. http://www.accordinglydone.com/forum...=&postid=18887

Read Type SH's post.

i found that link from this looooooooong thread on hondasociety: http://board.hondasociety.com/showth...threadid=81465
Old 06-10-2003, 04:24 AM
AccordCoup94

wow.. so the 94-95's are actually a little lower than the 96-97's? thats good news to me becasue i was a little worried that the prokits were going to be too high. i currently have coilovers and i set my own height. thanks fo that info.

i have the correct part numbers, i even asked eibach for each individual spring numbers and they are correct, but they seem to sit on the shock a little crooked. i was thinking about installing them upside down but i thought that was a bad idea. if anyone has this exact setup, let me know how your springs sit. thanks!
Old 06-10-2003, 04:16 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

CalBearz24:
Not to get off topic--who is the chick in your sig?
Old 06-10-2003, 05:25 PM
CalBearz24

MrChad, that's Carmella DeCesare, Miss April 2003. She's from Ohio, like you.

AccordCoup94, I dunno if it'll help you gauge what kind of drop you'll get, but BlackChrome on HS had a Neuspeed Race-like drop when using Neuspeed Sports.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:14 PM
TypeSH

its not the car, but the springs you buy. neuspeed has diff part numbers for 94-95 and 96-97. the koni shocks are the same... but im not sure which perch height they were modeled after.

buy the springs to match which perch height the konis were designed for.