Notices

Spark Plug and Wire Installation

Old 05-16-2003, 12:15 AM
AadosX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug and Wire Installation

I just got my NGK Iridium IX plugs and NGK Blue wires in today. How should I go about installing them? Is there a DIY somewhere? I heard something about some silicone or something, I have no idea, that I put on the tips for some reason...? I called a shop and they said $35 bucks for installation. But I'd rather do it myself if I can. Thanks for the info!

-John
Old 05-16-2003, 01:05 AM
AccordCoup94

just have a torq wrench handy if you want to do it properly. basically take the old spark plugs out first and put the new ones in. tighten the sparkplugs to 13lbs of torque (i think its 13, i dont remember but its in your owners manual under the spark plug chapter but if you dont have a torque wrench just turn it 3/4 of a turn after you finger tighten it with the socket extension). after that, pull the old wires out from right to left and make sure that you do them one at a time so that you know which wire goes with which cap/sparkplug so you dont mess up the firing order. THE ORDER OF THE WIRES IS IMPORTANT!
Old 05-16-2003, 03:22 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

are you serious?

step 1: remove old spark plug,one at a time
step 2: gap new spark plug to specs.
step 3: using a torque wrench, install new plug
step 4: replace wire for that plug
step 5: repeat

DO NOT remove all of them at once unless you are familiar with your engine's firing order, etc....
Old 05-16-2003, 04:33 AM
96Vtec
Hollywood

Probably wouldnt hurt to replace the dist. cap and rotor also while you are at it :thumbup:
Old 05-16-2003, 08:25 AM
AadosX

Yes but someone said that I should put something inside the connectors of the plugs. And I believe the plugs are already made to fit my car, so I shouldn't have to mess with gap should I?

Will someone please confirm the lbs of torque?
Old 05-16-2003, 10:15 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally posted by AadosX
Yes but someone said that I should put something inside the connectors of the plugs. And I believe the plugs are already made to fit my car, so I shouldn't have to mess with gap should I?

Will someone please confirm the lbs of torque?
put something inside the connectors on the plugs??? :wtf:never heard that.

always gap them yourself anyway. i trust myself a little more than some guy that works in a spark plug factory
Old 05-16-2003, 12:54 PM
jschmid

What people are probably talking about is using anti-seize compound on the threads of the spark plug, not the end. And yes, do it. It facillitates removing them when it's time to change them. The service manual recommends using some. Most auto places you can pick up a small sample thing for 25 cents or sometimes for free.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:08 PM
djmtsu
nopistons

Yeah either he's talking about antiseize on the threads, or that conducter gel you can put on the wire caps then push onto the plug, all its for is anticorrosion and to keep moisture away from the contacts. Otherwise, you shouldn't attempt anything else on your car if you can't change your plugs/wires.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:09 PM
djmtsu
nopistons

Also, NGK Iridiums shouldn't need gapping, but always check.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:55 PM
DanG

That little addition ,which is known as dielectric grease, can be picked up at any auto parts store. It is a great anti-corrosion agent. I use it at every plug change and tuen-up. Good luck.