Notices

Building the head?

Old 05-15-2003, 07:49 AM
lil_1_2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building the head?

I'm planning on buying some Skunk2 Stage 2 camshafts soon, and along with that i'll have to get the whole vavletrain. My question is for those with build heads like this, is it alright to leave the bottom end stock? i have no plans on building the bottom on my H22 and i was wondering if its safe, after the head work, i just plan to use a 50 or 75 shot of N2O. Thats all, so will it be safe for the bottom end since i'm sorta raisin the compresssion? also do people who build the top like this, do they burn oil? get any problems?
Old 05-15-2003, 07:55 AM
teamlegacy

I would at least get your block resleeved and a block guard.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:15 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah you can leave it stock with no problems but ince you have it apart it really isn't that much more work to get new rods and upgrade the head bolts as well....actually I would get better head bolts anyways....Honda has crappy ones.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:31 PM
ZigenBallz
p/t slacker

Originally posted by teamlegacy
I would at least get your block resleeved and a block guard.
Why O why would he sleeve the block unless he was running forged pistons? I think that would fall into the non-stock bottom end category...and to sleeve the block and run stock pistons/rings is just ummm, silly.

I would bet that upgrading your valvetrain will encourage you to rev up to your new redline a lot more often. You will get blowby after awhile because of Honda's crappy piston rings. So the answer is yes and no... you can leave the bottom end stock but...

At least consider getting new rings at some point.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:57 PM
lil_1_2002

haha yea i was about to say something abuot the sleeving block comment, hehe i guess that falls into the stock categoy, yea i was thinking maybe new rings, and bearings...anything else i should consider?
Old 05-15-2003, 01:03 PM
teamlegacy

Well, then run forged pistons, haha. If it was me, if I already had the head off and done, I'd go for the block complete too. I mean, you've already spent a lot on the head, so what's a little more . Haha, that's just me though. I guess I have a different idea for power...I want lots, and lots...and then some more would be cool.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:57 PM
lil_1_2002

yea see, if i do something, i do it right i guess, and i dont wanna mess with the block becasue gettin forged pistons means getting the block resleeved, which is too much money for me to be thinking about now, all i wanna now if the bottom end will hold all the power that the top is producing...
Old 05-15-2003, 02:21 PM
ZigenBallz
p/t slacker

Originally posted by lil_1_2002
yea see, if i do something, i do it right i guess, and i dont wanna mess with the block becasue gettin forged pistons means getting the block resleeved, which is too much money for me to be thinking about now, all i wanna now if the bottom end will hold all the power that the top is producing...
I'm just messin with ya legacy...

But about the pistons...according to values, Wiseco is making a slip-skirt piston and rings that will work in the H22 FRM lined cylinders without re-sleeving. I don't know if they are out yet but he seems to know his sh*t...

So that'll save you about 700-900... a blockgaurd would probably still be a good idea though.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:29 PM
teamlegacy

It's all good, just posting my opinion. But I don't see why the block wouldn't hold. Honda motors are stronger than most of think or give credit to. Check out raceeng.com and jgenginedynamics.com pretty good building sites I think.