Notices

98-00 oem kit on an 2002

Old 05-13-2003, 01:47 PM
grayaccord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98-00 oem kit on an 2002

i was looking to get the underbody kit for my 02 coupe. can the ones from 98-00 fit. oh and for the front i was thinking about the mugen style lip
Old 05-13-2003, 01:54 PM
jschmid

The OEM underbody side skirts for 98-00 fit fine.

The rear will fit with some modification, and the front won't fit.

Some guys swap their front bumper to a 98-00 bumper and use the OEM front lip.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:44 PM
DJ Scotty

Originally posted by jschmid
The OEM underbody side skirts for 98-00 fit fine.

The rear will fit with some modification, and the front won't fit.

Some guys swap their front bumper to a 98-00 bumper and use the OEM front lip.
Schmiddy,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was at the SEMA show a couple years back, and I was bull***itting with the guys at the Honda booth and they were telling me that the sculpted sides of the 01/02 coupes are completely different from the 98-00 versions, and that the OEM kit was dropped (offered in dealerships) after 00 because they werent selling and also because they would no longer fit on the 01/02 coupes...if you look at the sides of the "facelifted" sixth generation coupes from 2001 and 2002, you can see where the side sills look a bit different from the 98-00 models; they look less "straight edged" and more "curvy"; its the only way I can describe it....now, I dont know about the rear and front, as you mention, but are you sure the SIDE skirts will fit on his 2002?
Old 05-14-2003, 06:42 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Factory sides are removed when installing a body kit, even OEM.

Do a search I posted a link on how to aquire the bumpers needed to do the 98+ conversion to install body kits to 01-02 cars.

Then go online and search for honda accessories and get a kit, this is not a difficult thing to do. If you can install a kit you can swap the bumpers.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:32 PM
jschmid

Originally posted by DJ Scotty
Schmiddy,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was at the SEMA show a couple years back, and I was bull***itting with the guys at the Honda booth and they were telling me that the sculpted sides of the 01/02 coupes are completely different from the 98-00 versions, and that the OEM kit was dropped (offered in dealerships) after 00 because they werent selling and also because they would no longer fit on the 01/02 coupes...if you look at the sides of the "facelifted" sixth generation coupes from 2001 and 2002, you can see where the side sills look a bit different from the 98-00 models; they look less "straight edged" and more "curvy"; its the only way I can describe it....now, I dont know about the rear and front, as you mention, but are you sure the SIDE skirts will fit on his 2002?
Yeah, like Chad said, you remove the sideskirts to install the OEM bodykit skirts. The mounting is the same. I've seen a few 01-02's with just the OEM kit skirts, and a few with the whole kit.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:05 AM
DJ Scotty

Originally posted by MrChad
Factory sides are removed when installing a body kit, even OEM.

Do a search I posted a link on how to aquire the bumpers needed to do the 98+ conversion to install body kits to 01-02 cars.

Then go online and search for honda accessories and get a kit, this is not a difficult thing to do. If you can install a kit you can swap the bumpers.
I already have the OEM kit, and I know searching is not a difficult thing to do...I was just asking with regard to the original guy who posted this question about kits; being that Honda themselves told me at SEMA Las Vegas 2000 that the body curvatures are different and so the 98-00 kits would not fit their then-up-and-coming 2001 Accord---but I guess, like you said, sides are removed when installing any kit...
Old 05-15-2003, 07:10 AM
DJ Scotty

Yeah, like Chad said, you remove the sideskirts to install the OEM bodykit skirts. The mounting is the same. I've seen a few 01-02's with just the OEM kit skirts, and a few with the whole kit.
Funny, around here I dont see ANY---NOT ONE---of the "facelifted" 01/02 models with the OEM kit (like the one I have on my 99)...they're all stock except for a rear wing or fog lamps or something....are you sure you arent seeing a 2000 model that MAY accommodate the 98-99 OEM kit? I think the 2000 was the year the coupe got the facelift treatment---with the different grille, wheels, lower front bumper, rear valance, different factory side sills, etc...but if the 2000 model did not receive the facelift, and it began in 2001, then the 2000 model may be accepting the 98-99 OEM kit....and thats what you may be seeing when you say you see "2001" or "2002" models....
Old 05-15-2003, 12:38 PM
jschmid

Funny, around here I dont see ANY---NOT ONE---of the "facelifted" 01/02 models with the OEM kit (like the one I have on my 99)...they're all stock except for a rear wing or fog lamps or something....are you sure you arent seeing a 2000 model that MAY accommodate the 98-99 OEM kit? I think the 2000 was the year the coupe got the facelift treatment---with the different grille, wheels, lower front bumper, rear valance, different factory side sills, etc...but if the 2000 model did not receive the facelift, and it began in 2001, then the 2000 model may be accepting the 98-99 OEM kit....and thats what you may be seeing when you say you see "2001" or "2002" models....
Nope, I'm not mistaken.

And it was 2001 that they changed the look.

Here is one for example:
2002 coupe with 98-00 front bumper and OEM kit:

Old 05-15-2003, 12:44 PM
DJ Scotty

Nope, I'm not mistaken.

And it was 2001 that they changed the look.

Here is one for example:
2002 coupe with 98-00 front bumper and OEM kit:

And indeed it is....I was mislead from the SEMA Honda guys; I was lead to believe the 98/99 kits would not fit later models...are you sure this Special Edition coupe is not photoshopped? It is a real photo of someone's car? I was under the assumption the facelift occurred in 2000.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:51 PM
jschmid

And indeed it is....I was mislead from the SEMA Honda guys; I was lead to believe the 98/99 kits would not fit later models...are you sure this Special Edition coupe is not photoshopped? It is a real photo of someone's car? I was under the assumption the facelift occurred in 2000.
You just don't believe anything I say do you?

Trust me, it's not photoshopped. Look at the rear bumper...see the little line just above the rear lip? That line is only on the 01-02's.

The owner may actually be on this board.

And when someone says the OEM kit for the coupes don't fit on the 01-02, they are right. The car has to be modified...you have to swap the front bumper, and you have to modify the rear for it to work. The sideskirts fit without modification.