Notices

engine swap

Old 04-09-2003, 01:45 PM
dcbreed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine swap

i have a 1991 honda accord with a f-22 series motor. i am looking into swapping motors to a h-22 series motor. i have not found anybody in this area to do the swap and i may have to myself. can anybody tell me will it fit and how hard it will be to do. i am more worrisd about the wiring harness and hook-ups on the ecu. if there is anybody out there who can answer my questions or have done this type of swap your help would be greatly appericated.

if it would be easier you could contact me at 252-342-3870 thank you!!!! charlie
Old 04-09-2003, 03:45 PM
BustedLX
Rice Rocket

Will you be switching transmissions also or will you be reusing your F-Series transmission?

Wireing is not difficult at all you just need to add a few wires to the ECU's plugs.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:41 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it should be identical to the same swap into any other 4th gen model and 5th gen model.

Wiring concerns are the same as with the ever popular 5th gen swap.

Try looking at www.h22a.org for some answers to your questions...good luck with the swap......you'll love it when its done
Old 04-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Actually here is a direct link to the info you want...makes it easier this way

http://www.h22a.org/4gswap.htm
Old 04-10-2003, 11:42 AM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

i thought the f series trannys will not work on an h22a?? I have a 96 and can get the long block for like 800. can the my tranny actually work with it??
Old 04-10-2003, 11:57 AM
BustedLX
Rice Rocket

Originally posted by vtecaccord01
i thought the f series trannys will not work on an h22a?? I have a 96 and can get the long block for like 800. can the my tranny actually work with it??
Yes it will work. The F-series transmission will bolt right up to an H22A.

That's actually what they did on the 4th gen swap on H22A.org

Check the previous posts above for the link.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:01 PM
Q__

you will have to shave the drivers side motor mount off and place it further towards the front/rear of the vehicle. the wiring harness are not too hard to find. good luck
Old 04-10-2003, 12:12 PM
BustedLX
Rice Rocket

Originally posted by Q__
you will have to shave the drivers side motor mount off and place it further towards the front/rear of the vehicle. the wiring harness are not too hard to find. good luck
No you don't. The only thing you would need to grind off and reweld would be the Passenger side transmission mount on the chassis if you converting from Auro to Manual or vice versa.

The only modification would would do on the drivers side would be "if you wanted to" grind the engine mount down a little to make it fit better, In 4th gens it isn't necessary.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:47 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Originally posted by vtecaccord01
Yeah as was said the F series tranny will bolt directly to the H series motors and vice versa.

Down side to using the F series tranny is that it is much longer geared than the H series tranny (H22 specifically...H23 is slightly longer gearing). The plus to this is improved fuel economy and lower highway RPMs the down side is that your launch times and 1/4 mile times will suffer because of the gearing difference. .....(the following comment is from heresay and not neccesarily fact) the F tranny will not make as efficient use of the VTEC function of the engine.

Not a real big deal but one you may want to consider
Old 04-10-2003, 01:50 PM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

I am going to be doing some autox though. so i wouldnt get all the hp out of the motor with my tranny? Is there a way to comensate for it?