Notices

new car..... now what

Old 04-04-2003, 12:22 PM
03accordCPnav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new car..... now what

hey so whats the deal with breakin in the 03 accord v6...
500 miles, 1000 miles... or none.

does it make a difference really?

if so how long, how fast etc...

thanks
Old 04-04-2003, 12:35 PM
TriKKy

There is a section in the manual about the break. Not sure what difference it would actually make... I think honda says something like 650 or 750 and to take it easy on your bakes.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:52 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Break in doesn't really matter on Hondas, at least not the engine. All Hondas are redlined from the factory on a dyno to make sure they produce proper horsepower, so it's not an issue.

I would avoid the following:
- Hard braking
- Sustained high RPM's
- Sustained high speeds
- Hard cornering

Until like 1000 miles or so.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:08 PM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

Originally posted by 98CoupeV6
Break in doesn't really matter on Hondas, at least not the engine. All Hondas are redlined from the factory on a dyno to make sure they produce proper horsepower, so it's not an issue.
Do you know this for sure? And if so...how long have they been doing it? Since company inception?

Cuz it would mean alot of people are wasting their time babying it until 1k miles or so. I know some who vowed they wouldnt go over 4 or 5k rpm until break in. That would drive me crazy to buy a bran new car and not be able to REALLY drive it until it hits 1k....i would prolly purposely take a road trip the weekend i got it to break it in faster.

Dave
Old 04-04-2003, 04:29 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

Originally posted by REbornHONDAneer
Do you know this for sure? And if so...how long have they been doing it? Since company inception?

Cuz it would mean alot of people are wasting their time babying it until 1k miles or so. I know some who vowed they wouldnt go over 4 or 5k rpm until break in. That would drive me crazy to buy a bran new car and not be able to REALLY drive it until it hits 1k....i would prolly purposely take a road trip the weekend i got it to break it in faster.

Dave
the car should still be broken in.... its not neccessarily the engine that needs to be broken in.... but the things Chris mentioned are good guidelines... its a new car, the engine still shouldnt be raced...... some people with 03's have noticed that they are getting less than expected gas mileage... and this is all part of break-in.

And to your comment on taking a road trip.... its not recommend keeping the vehicle at a constant RPM/speed until after break in... and really not to use cruise much. There really shouldnt be a rush.... 1k miles isnt that long, how long does one plan on owning the car? - long enough to not worry about getting through the first 1k miles.....
Old 04-04-2003, 05:34 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally posted by REbornHONDAneer
I don't know, but I read an article about how they do it at the East Liberty engine plant. They've been doing it for at least a few years. I am 100% positive.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:26 PM
AwSoMNaMjA

Originally posted by TriKKy
There is a section in the manual about the break. Not sure what difference it would actually make... I think honda says something like 650 or 750 and to take it easy on your bakes.

the manaul says 1000km...so thats about 600 miles....so after 600 miles bone the fook out..lol nah...but enjoy..and the brakes is 300km or 200 miles to break in...and it doesnt say n ething bout the hard corners..but i guess tehy dont think everyone is a racer like me.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:28 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally posted by AwSoMNaMjA
the manaul says 1000km...so thats about 600 miles....so after 600 miles bone the fook out..lol nah...but enjoy..and the brakes is 300km or 200 miles to break in...and it doesnt say n ething bout the hard corners..but i guess tehy dont think everyone is a racer like me.
I just assumed that for the purpose of letting the suspension and shocks get broken in.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:55 PM
99accord
www.poksquid.com

no harm in babying it just a little...
Old 04-04-2003, 06:57 PM
LX4CYL
Cone Basher

I went above 4000 RPMs ONCE during the break-in period. Didn't want to do that, was just an *emergency.* I did exactly what the owner's manual told me to do, and I never let the engine go above 3000 RPMs. On occasion I maybe let it hit 4000.

We also put in a teflon additive in the oil 2 days after we got the accord (02 4cyl). We've put this in our '98 4runner when we bought it new, and in our '98 Sienna when we bought it new, and both engines still run smooth. When we went in for our 60k service (for the '98 4runner), the technician (at a Toyota dealership with a VERY good service dept.) was amazed at how smooth the engine sounded at 60k miles. He then showed us a 2000 4runner that sounded like shit compared to ours. I think it was the additive and definitely was our perfect maintenance. We never missed any scheduled service by 50 miles.

In my Accord, it took me 6 months to hit 2500 miles (I'm a HS student), so I had to take it in for my first oil change at 2500 miles

However, I don't know how this additive would work in my 4cyl Honda though, only in time I'll know...