Notices

Balance Shafts - the truth?

Old 04-01-2003, 06:19 PM
92lx

Default Balance Shafts - the truth?

This IS a lengthy post, but I'll be it if I don't get some truthful answers.

Okay guys, I've done a lot of searches and research and I've found out a lot of information, but I need clarification...

first here is the definition of balance shaft I got from the automotive dictionary online:

Balance Shaft : An engine shaft designed so that it rotates in such a way that it reduces or cancels out vibrations produced by the engine, resulting in reduced noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) in the passenger compartment. In four-cylinder engines, two shafts turning in opposite directions on either side of the engine’s crankshaft are generally used, while in V-type engines, a single balance shaft is used.

----

Now, here are some interesting facts, the internals of a honda engine are said to be balanced from the factory, meaning, that unless for some reason the crankshaft has been damaged from use (perhaps not getting enough oil in the mornings, lots of miles?) there is no reason that it should need the balance shafts for the said reason of balancing the motor to keep it from shaking itself apart.

That said, it is very common to find on the internet balance shaft removal kits, usually consisting of little more than just threaded plugs for replacing the area where the shafts normally exist. The other common practice, mostly on hondas that I've seen is simply removing the belt (as the 5lbs of weight savings isn't that impressive).

Also, it has been said that gains of anywhere between 5-12hp can be seen from disabling these guys, it depends on who you asks. I'm one to believe it'd be somewhere in between those numbers.

Now, as for the real question, it is undeniable that there is a descent amount of power to be gained, but my concern is whether or not the myths of it causing engine damage over time are true. The reason being is that magazines, and even some honda technicians that I've spoken with, all say that it's perfectly okay and will not hurt anything - unless the crank it out of spec.

We all know that the harmonic balancer issue with crank pullies exists, but that is directly connected to the crank itself. The balance shafts run off the crank, but they are by no means a part of the crank, and unless they really move the engine around, it shouldn't cause a problem right?

Okay, I don't know if my thinking makes any sense to you guys, but anyhow, I'll shut up for now, I'm writing all this to hopefully start an INTELLIGENT discussion (I don't want to hear a bunch of "I think"), about this idea, as I am building up a motor and I think that it'd be a good idea for everyone to get a good truthful idea about this "mod".

Thanks for baring with me on this wordy post.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:02 PM
93accord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also in the process of building a motor up. When I put my motor back together I will be putting the balance shafts back in, even though I am having the bottom end balanced. I have them out right now and can tell that they would make a difference in the vibration of the motor just from looking at them. Also, you have to keep in mind if you remove them, you should remove the bearings. Don't really want them to vibrate out and hit a rod or your crank. Honda motors are built well, and although on any buildup you do, you will change most if not all internal parts of the engine, I feel that if it was put there, it was put there for good reason. My bet would be that the engineer that designed the motor with the balance shafts knows more than the mechanic that tells you it would be fine without them.