Notices

03 6 speed Coupe Owners; Info needed

Old 03-31-2003, 11:51 AM
2000Prelude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 6 speed Coupe Owners; Info needed

Hey all,

From reading this forum, I know at least four or five people on H-A net have this car now. How do you like it? How's the power, handling, braking? I know that the car rags have been impressed with the 7th gen Accord in general, but have mentioned that handling and braking are not as good as expected. How is the 6 speed Coupe? What do you think of the handling and braking?

How much did you pay for this car? Did the dealers try to charge ridiculous markups, or did you get it for a reasonable price?

Finally, what color is interior, exterior. How's the seat comfort? How about headroom, is it adequite (a sore point for the Prelude)?

Any dealer installed options? I'm interested in this car, so I'm wondering what kind of an experience I can expect.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2003, 12:24 PM
richtrader

Default Re: 03 6 speed Coupe Owners; Info needed

Originally posted by 2000Prelude
Hey all,

From reading this forum, I know at least four or five people on H-A net have this car now. How do you like it? How's the power, handling, braking? I know that the car rags have been impressed with the 7th gen Accord in general, but have mentioned that handling and braking are not as good as expected. How is the 6 speed Coupe? What do you think of the handling and braking?

How much did you pay for this car? Did the dealers try to charge ridiculous markups, or did you get it for a reasonable price?

Finally, what color is interior, exterior. How's the seat comfort? How about headroom, is it adequite (a sore point for the Prelude)?

Any dealer installed options? I'm interested in this car, so I'm wondering what kind of an experience I can expect.

Thanks
I am impressed with mine. It's got a great highway ride and great leather on the very supportive seats. The acceleration is good and the handling is what you would expect from a FWD car: not completely confidence inspiring on tight turns. I came from a BMW 330xi so I am still used to a pretty fast car with a RWD feel. The braking on the Accord seems fine, although I haven't had to jam on the brakes yet for any reason.

I paid sticker for mine and would absolutely not pay any markup if I were you. They seem to be common enough where you can get one if you look.

My dealer options were fogs and MP3.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:33 PM
TriKKy

I paid 27K with a sticker price of 29600 (spoiler & mp3). This car was impossible to find. There were exactly 3 coupes in the state (NY) with NAV and only 1 which was red....talk about rare.

You need to follow the rules of car buying to get the price down. Don't discuss financing or trade-ins until you settle on a price. What's more is that if you don't get the price you are aiming for...walk out, find another dealer. No matter where you go, get a quote in writing, even if it is higher than you want. Take that quote to the next dealer and tell them to beat it. Dealers always itch to get you out the door the same day...don't bite...it will cost you. Know what you want and what you want to pay. I can tell you that my car was harder to find than a 6speed.

As far as the ride, I love it. It's quiet and smooth. The braking, from what I've read...the braking system doesn't perform as well as the upgrades that have been done to it would warrant. However, they stop in about the same distance as the 6th Gen Accords. As for room....let me say this. I come from driving SUVs all my driving life (6 years). I am 6'2" and 275lbs and fit very comfortably in the coupe. My fiancee is 5'2" and is also very comfotable.

If you want some pics of interior, though not the best, see them
HERE
Old 03-31-2003, 04:44 PM
Snatchface

Let me try to answer all of your questions here. First of all LOVE IT! Awesome car. Could not be happier. And that was competing against a G35 Coupe and Z350.

Sticker for mine was $26,300. I got $500 under sticker and dealer cost on options.

Power is great but it's not very...how to say...snappy. Although there is a lot of torque, I find that the acceleration is somewhat...non-linear. It will snap your head back though. The power band is extremely broad. You get solid acceleration down to at least 1,500 RPM in any gear...even 6th.

Handling seems at least as good, if not better than my old Supra. It just feels solid and confident with whatever you put it through. Enough said.

I have not tried any 60-0 skid tests (thank god), but the brakes feel very linear and easy to modulate. I have not noticed any fade. They bite hard when you need them to though.

The shifter is awesome. Beautiful feel, aluminum/leather. "Snicks" perfectly into every gear. The wheel is equally pleasing and road feel is fantastic.

The interior is worth the price of the ticket alone. The seats are uber-comfy. Heat comes on in about 2 minutes in freezing weather. Dual climate, heated seats...

There is nothing I don't like about this car
Old 03-31-2003, 08:34 PM
prelude_sh

sounds so good. for it's price...hmm...2g's and you can get urself a more refined acura cl.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:43 AM
2000Prelude

Thanks all

I appreciate the reponses. I have a 2000 Prelude 5 speed and I really like the car. It's getting to be time to think about what car to get next, I've got 68K on the Prelude now. Honda has discontinued the Prelude and I DEFINATELY want a manual trans again. Cars with manual trannies are becoming increasingly hard to find. So for me it's an Accord 6 speed Coupe or I will have switch away from Honda. The Prelude has been real good and very cheap car to operate. Besides oil and filter changes, I have spent a total of $50 on this car! And although it uses premium gas, I get 30 mpg in normal driving, so I'm not complaining. To me the fuel economy is excellent considering the available performance of the car.

I just finished paying off the car, so I'd like to wait until '04 model year to be in a better financial situation. Hope Honda continues to make the 6 speed coupe!!!
Old 04-01-2003, 11:23 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the Acura CL Type-S 6 speed as well, 2000P...they can be had for close to invoice ($28,000), or the price of an Accord 6 speed with Navigation
Old 04-01-2003, 02:42 PM
Snatchface

Acura CL Type-S = fugly Go with the Coupe.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:33 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Snatchface
Acura CL Type-S = fugly Go with the Coupe.
Thanks for your subjective opinion
Old 04-02-2003, 03:45 PM
NOBRKES

I'll second all of the raves about the 6MT - but if there's a weak point with the Accord Coupe, it's the visability. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, but you can't see squat while trying to change lanes, or park. I guess that's the price you pay.....

MSRP - Satin Silver, factory fogs, wing, wheel locks & splash guards for $350.