Notices

Drove a 6 speed today -- two of them!

Old 03-28-2003, 03:46 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't let dealers gouge you on a 6 speed

I test drove two six speed Accords today at two sepparate dealers, so before any of your dealers tell you they are rare and try to gouge you, forget it. Both dealers were very nice when I told them I wasn't buying today, and added that they can work with the price. In other words, don't get suckered in to pay anywhere near or over sticker. As for the car itself, I was very surprised. The engine is super smooth and quiet, except when VTEC hits. Even at that, you don't hear it too much, but you can definitely feel it. The clutch is solid and smooth, and you can chirp the tires all the way to fourth with the traction control disengaged. On the freeway, you can get the car to move in sixth, even when at 80 mph the engine is turning only 2200 rpm. Says alot about the availability of torque. The steering is very linear, with no dead center spot. The brakes seemed a little twitchy at first, untill I got used to them. The layout of the dash is awesome. Fit, finish, and feel of the switchgear is all top notch. The car is near silent with the windows and roof closed. All in all, great value for the price (26,300 EX-L w/o nav)..... it's equiped as good if not better than cars costing ten grand more. As with all first run products, though, I think I'll wait a year or two for them to work out any bugs. I'm pretty sure there won't be, but I just prefer to be safe. I love the car, though. Definitely worth checking out for anyone who is interrested.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:44 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks bro. I wish the dealer here would let me test drive one, they're so fricken anal about it :madfawk:
Old 03-28-2003, 05:10 PM
TriKKy

The brakes on my coup took a good 500+ miles to stop feeling "twitchy" as you say. At first I thought it was just cause I have only driven SUVs for my entire driving life (6 years), but this makes me think that maybe it is just part of the car.
Im at 1500mi now....brakes are great...saved me from accident today.
Old 03-29-2003, 04:48 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Originally posted by 98CoupeV6
Thanks bro. I wish the dealer here would let me test drive one, they're so fricken anal about it :madfawk:
If you go to different dealers, I'm sure you'll find one not so anal about it. I found two, and ironically neither of them were the one I bought my Prelude from. My dealer was fantastic when I bought my car, but they are pretty anal about the 6x6 Accord. They have two right now, and both of them have about 3500 in accessories pre-installed. I guess its just a roll of the dice. I do think that dealer in Florida asking 40 grand is not the norm. He'll find out when his competitors are selling them for 25 grand.
Old 03-29-2003, 05:59 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by fastball
If you go to different dealers, I'm sure you'll find one not so anal about it. I found two, and ironically neither of them were the one I bought my Prelude from. My dealer was fantastic when I bought my car, but they are pretty anal about the 6x6 Accord. They have two right now, and both of them have about 3500 in accessories pre-installed. I guess its just a roll of the dice. I do think that dealer in Florida asking 40 grand is not the norm. He'll find out when his competitors are selling them for 25 grand.
That Florida car is probably still in the showroom

There's a dealership about 5 mins from me and another one about 30 minutes from me, which is where I get my car serviced because the people are better. Last time I checked in they didn't even have one. The dealer 5 mins away refused to let me test drive it without a $100 non-refundable deposit...yeah right.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:58 PM
preylude99

haha fastball always writes good reviews...... glad to hear you liked the new accord, is it something you are considering or what? and then, when you got back in yur lude, did it feel A LOT worse than the accord or jus a little?
Old 04-29-2003, 09:59 PM
preylude99

also, the reason I ask is because when I went to test-drive a lude and I owned my civic dx, when i went to go drive home in my civic, it felt WAY worse than the lude, so that is what sold me on it.....
Old 04-29-2003, 11:04 PM
Vicious Lau

Originally posted by preylude99
also, the reason I ask is because when I went to test-drive a lude and I owned my civic dx, when i went to go drive home in my civic, it felt WAY worse than the lude, so that is what sold me on it.....

you never appreciate a car until you go bad

i was in my friends stock integ 91 LS and man the stock stereo the power it would sound good but we wouldnt go anywhere and it was for 4 days we rode on it

you really appreciate your car after that sound system power man you just do
Old 04-30-2003, 02:34 AM
2000Prelude

If a car is fairly rare, or if it is known to be in short supply, a no test drive policy is not surprising. HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT if you wanted to buy a new car and found out a bunch of people had been test driving it?????h:

Personally, I'm in the market for a 6 speed coupe, and I would not want one that people had been test driving. I went to a dealer in Fairfax, VA last time I had my 'Lude serviced. They had a 6 speed in the showroom. I sat in it and checked it out for size. I didn't ask to test drive and did not expect to drive it unless I intended to buy it. THAT'S WHY I WISH DEALERS WOULD HAVE DEMONSTRATORS!!

Unfortunately, most dealers don't have demonstrators of any of the vehicles I'd be interested in. Just have to settle for driving the closest thing they have available.

When I boought the 'Lude, it was in Feb 2000, they had picked it up from a dealer about 30 miles away. It was filthy when it came in to the dealership and had 70 miles on it. The car was built in 10/99 by the way. After it was cleaned up by the dealer and after my owning it for 3 years, I still have not been able get get rid of some of that original filth that it was delivered with. (Just a side rant about buying a car that has SAT for 6 months since it was built)
Old 04-30-2003, 07:51 AM
preylude99

it seems for some reason on the ludes that when you get a problem with the seats or interior, it doesnt go away as easily as does other cars. Also 2000prelude, I still havent figured out the vibe problem, Im going to do a valve adjustment as I believe that is the final thing it could be, either that or something to do with the injectors.......