Thread: 2005 Honda Accord LX - replace steering fluid?

2005 Honda Accord LX - replace steering fluid?

I was just wondering if there really is any value in replacing the steering fluid on a Honda Accord as part of a preventive maintenance plan. My car has 79,500 miles. I don't know whether that is wasting money or a valuable exercise to prevent future headaches. Please let me know.

It's always a good idea to replace or at least "freshen" the power steering fluid in a vehicle occasionally. The fluid eventually gets dirty and loses some of it's properties. Adding some new fluid (even if not replacing all of it) can go a long way to helping it do it's job. Although you can opt to have the dealer flush the fluid for big $$$, it's not necessary. I service my power steering by removing the fluid in the reservoir with a turkey baster and replenishing (get as much out as you can). If you do this 3 or 4 times over a couple of weeks, you'll replace enough of the fluid to keep everything working well. Remember that Hondas do use a propietary fluid and damage to the power steering system can result if you use the wrong fluid. I usually pick up a couple of bottles of the Honda PS fluid at the dealership for this purpose.

^ says it all

Honda-Acura
    Honda S2000

Honda-Acura